Monarch 10EE - what to do?

You can buy several VFD's for the price of the Thyratron C16J vacuum tube, believe a 10ee needs 2.
No. Not all 10EEs had vacuum tube drives. And I assure that none of the T-handle round-dial 10EEs (like the one Phayb is looking at) did. And, as I said, the DC spindle motor can be powered by a DC motor controller for about the cost of a VFD, with no need buy and adapt an AC motor.

Look at the quality of the machine , not one of these new pm or grizzly lathes will ever last as long as the 10ee . I'm a USA man if entirely possible. I'd be extremely happy to get one even needing repair. Sounds like the price must be fair so grab it , you won't be unhappy . The dc drive sounds like it's almost ready to run . If it's less then $2k your in they sell for much more when junk. Pictures will help more.

Without the gearbox you could drop in a 10Hp motor, but you would need a 20Hp VFD if running off of single phase...

That is being WAY too conservative and wasting his money. A 10EE would never even use 5 hp, just need low end torque of a 10hp motor. It would be prudent to get a 15hp VFD, but a 10hp will work on single phase. This is a guideline sort of thing that always draws controversy. Now if you need full hp out of a three phase motor with 100% duty cycle, then you should double the size of the VFD.

Karl

That is being WAY too conservative and wasting his money. A 10EE would never even use 5 hp, just need low end torque of a 10hp motor
I guess you did not read what I said, which is you would need a 10Hp without the gearbox. With the gearbox, there are numerous conversions using a 5Hp VFD that work just fine. Your choice on how you want to burn up your VFD and void the warranty, I have had this discussion in other forums and manufactures, and the minimum up sizing running a 3 phase VFD off of single phase is 1.5X. The quality of the VFD does come into play, but hey why not just get one of the single phase 10Hp VFDs with a 2 year warranty and go for it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10HP-7-5KW...ase-Single-Speed-Inverter-220VAC/202035769448
10EE 5:1 gearbox
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MONARCH-10-EE-LATHE-MOTOR-W-GEAR-BOX-/292151115571

A great machine does not make a great machinist, a competent machinist can use a less expensive machine and still do great work for what they need it for. This is not aerospace production. I doubt any of us would wear out the hardened bed on a new lathe under normal "hobbyist" use. So it comes down to do you want the lathe as a project, or do you want a lathe to use.

And issues of footprint,spindle nose,5c collets or hard to find collets,weight of machine for transport,spindle bore,money for qctp,holders,knurlers,etc.

I vote for not going with the 10EE if you don’t have it already, sell all your Southbend lathe stuff and buy a new Precision Matthews lathe. It will likely cost less than the 10EE (plus all the things to get it running) and will be new out of the crate ready to go.

If you have the 10EE already sell it for profit and apply the money to the new lathe cause

and will be new out of the crate ready to go.

.....maybe

Well...people of the forum...I thank all of you for your comments and opinions...very much appreciated! I decided to buy it and see what happens. It's at home in my shop. The transport from the seller was effortless as well as the unloading into my shop. And for the money, I think it'll be an interesting project to dig into. I already like the height and overall size of the machine - it makes the Southbend lathes I have look like toys! Once I find the serial number, I will post it here for those that are interested. As I mentioned previously, it does not have the large tag like I see on other lathes - not sure why that is - likely the mystery of the adventure in and of itself! More to come...stay tuned!

If you do decide to use a back gear you might look at the eBay listing I posted as an option. I would probably toss the motor but keep the back spider that attaches to the back of the gearbox. You could mount a plate to is and use a C face or flange motor to mount to it and adapt a coupling between the two or fabricate something new. Others have modified other housings. You might look at the post below where he used the gearbox and a 5Hp motor with good results. I like the Yaskawa VFDs, I use them in some of my higher end builds, but they can be pricey. There is a vendor out of UK that ships internationally and is much more less expensive than buying in the US. I do have some parameter files for these VFDs.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/10ee-vfd-conversion.64230/

Back