Monarch 10ee

Questions to ask, why asre they selling, who ran it, did that person run it exclusively, what year is it, if tubes have they replaced the C16J s, they last a very long time, mine are over 4o years old, but they cost like stink, and if the tubes are very old or machine will not hit top rpm and stay steady with good stability under load, you either have a misadjusted set up and or more likely old and tired tubes. Not the end of world, but when some rummy says excellent condition and the 3000 rpm machine will only hit 2200 and still be stable you know they are bs ing or don't know their head from their bottom. Does it have original steady, faceplate, follow rest, cumulative cross slide dial, ELS, taper, knock out bar, nose cone for 5c or 2J collets, collet closer. Is it a 3 hp or 5 hp machine, round dial, or square dial, old height or new height, is the tailstock the correct size for machine they get lost and replaced. A machine from the 80s that is dead stock and metric, english with all the goodies could easily go 30K. A round dial machine clapped out with little extras could go for scrap. As an example my half way decent tooled 1956 WiaD 3 hp machine with taper attachment and collet closer, faceplate, 2 chucks, nose piece cost me 5K delivered. If my machine had fewer hours on it and less wear I think it could have brought more. I would not buy a high precision antique with out being able to use it first unless the person was an acknowledged expert on all things ee and I only know a very few of those, most of em hang periodically on the Monarch board at PM, there are a couple others.

I know that some machine shops won't buy an EE, they go Hardinge or Sharp exclusively. At one time Raytheon had nothing but MG EEs for precision, their tech liked the motor generator models, which are now all over 50 years old closer to 60 or more actually. As of 2000 Raytheon was still running them.

I spent 2 years looking at lots of machines, several air flights, long drives, most every machine was misrepresented either intentionally or by lack of knowledge. Its going to be up to you to determine if its a good machine. If I had it to do over I would have kept looking but that said I love my machine and do not regret it, but in 13 years or so, I have been down maybe 4 or 5 months, trying to figure out what 50 year old piece of wire, or contact or resistor had gone intermittent or bad. BTW there are different rpm machines, its all in the pulley size, tach top rpm will tell you what it should do.

cheers
michael

Thanks again. I had a long conversation with the owner. He used to run this machine and (naturally) speaks very highly of it. When the bottom dropped out of the coal industry in Colorado the company went under and he bought some of the machinery which he is now selling.

He seemed honest and forthcoming but in the final analysis any long distance deal with an unknown party is a crapshoot. Worst case: if it is junk I could probably part it out and get at least some money back.

with all do respect. There is no comparison between a budget Asian machine with gear head and a belt driven Ultra High Precision machine like a 10ee or HLVH. Factory spec on 10ee is 6 inch length stock turned between centers, variation in turned diameter < .00005" with hi grade surface finish, good luck hitting half a tenth with good surface finish with a Taiwanese machine weighing half as much and having gear head. These are high precision machines thru and thru, not just on the name plate decal.

When I was looking for lathes, I briefly considered a 10EE, and would love to have one. They where stat of the art in there time and are fantastic machines, and yes there is no comparison to a machine that lists at 10K new. But, the 10EE in decent condition were 15-25K when I looked a while back and most machinists I spoke to felt they where overpriced. Get one for less, well plan on spending some time working on it, and parts can be very expensive. You may get lucky, but most likely not. My point is not which is better, but to answer the question of what are reasonable options given the budget, that it is site unseen, and the extensive potential issues and problems that you have pointed out could and most likely will be an issue with this type of machine. As a hobbyist I can consistently squeeze 0.0005" out of my "Taiwanese" machine, do I need to go an order of magnitude better, not really. Do I need a mirror finish on a cut, no. If that is what you are seeking then maybe you should consider something like a 618EVS for 15K, otherwise you may need to put considerable research, effort and money into your 10EE search.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Super-Precision-EVS-Threading-Collet-Lathe/SB1008

Help me to understand this: The link goes to a machine listed on Ebay. Price is $8,200 + $63.40 for shipping via USPS Priority Mail. How would this be sent via USPS Priority Mail, and how would shipping cost only $63.40?

Thinking on buying this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181919707101?ul_noapp=true

I talked with the owner who seems to be truthful and honorable and I believe the machine to be as represented.

Problem is it is 1,700 miles distant so I cannot examine it. I would hate to have it arrive on my doorstep and find it not good.

Suggestions and advice?

Help me to understand this: The link goes to a machine listed on Ebay. Price is $8,200 + $63.40 for shipping via USPS Priority Mail. How would this be sent via USPS Priority Mail, and how would shipping cost only $63.40?

That was my first question to the seller. He said it was an artifact that ebay would not him let omit. He stated and it is stated that all costs of transport will be paid by the buyer. Read the entire ad and you will see he clearly states shipping parameters.

Talked with the owner. This a "project machine" and he has another older 10EE that is "almost" in running condition. You can buy both for $7.500.00 but I'm not interested. Could be a good deal for someone; finish them both sell one and come out with a "free" 10EE.

That is what he planned to do then other life forces took over...

If I needed another project I would go buy them. I don't think I could even get them in my shop right now, need to get some other project done first.

Sorta the way I feel. We are planning on selling and moving and I don't need another 6 to 8k pounds of iron to move. But if I was fully ensconced in a new shop I would be interested.

Back