Monarch 10ee

He removed the tubes and packaged them separately. Pictures show they are very well wrapped and padded. I hope they survive.

He said the machine is "plug and play" except for a short warmup time for the tubes.

Cut my teeth on vacuum tubes early in my engineering schools, so reading this is like going back in time. Can the tubes be sourced today? Vacuum tubes cannot take sharp jolts as the wires to the various components (cathode, plate, grid, etc.) are quite fragile. You may want to take the vacuum tubes with you if possible.

It would be cool to see a schematic of the power supply for that thing. Maybe I should look into a Monarch?

EDIT: The guy is correct about the 'warmup time', as tubes are not instant on like solid state devices. The heater circuit for the tube's cathode needs time to warm up. We used to use delay circuits/relays in high-power stereo amps to allow a brief time for the tubes to warm up.

Can't take them with as I am in Oregon and the lathe is in Texas. It is coming by motor-freight, scheduled for pickup today.

A manual is included. If it has a schematic I would be happy to copy and send to you.

Never heard of Monarch before a few weeks ago when I saw some on e-bay. I became fascinated and did a lot of reading on them. The more I read the the more I knew I had to have one. Before the Monarch I was seriously considering one of the Grizzy gunsmith lathes for about half of what I paid for a 40 year old Monarch.

Hope I made the right decision. If not it will be for sale right here.

PS There is one for sale in Hotchkiss CO. I seriously considered it, talked with the owner and made an offer. It was quite a bit more than what I paid and it was an older machine. We couldn't agree on a price.

I think it is still up on e-bay. It is the blue one for $8200.00

Those c16J tubes are built like a brick poop house, mine are dated as checked and okay 1976. You can still get em new for a medium fortune or search out used ones that are guaranteed on ebone. They are not the tubes from your grandpas phonograph, they are industrial workhorses. They powered the lighting rigs in theatres back in the day when the lights were DC for their controllability factor. They were also used in huge industrial welders. Monarch could have chosen any scheme they wanted to build their no compromises toolroom lathe. For over 30 years they stuck with tubes, no surprise. If the tubes do crap out and you want a cheaper alternative rewire and remount for much cheaper and lower hp capable C6J, wont have the hp but who cares, 1 hp DC would still throw you and a few friends across the shop if needed. Even wired with c6j you would still have about same power as HLVH. In my opinion, the tubes are not the weak link in a 1970s machine, its the caps , resistors, and rusty chokes that are likely to cause problems.

You will likely happily run your machine for years and years in a home shop environment with no problems and be miles ahead of having bought a price point machine from China.

michael

btw, a 10ee will run with only one working tube, albeit at reduced speed.

Ah...C16Js. Control diode/rectifier if my memory is correct. And yea, those are commercial tubes. Very well built.

Michael: I like your comments about the passive components. Were I ever to get one, I might have to re-work with more modern pieces.

Those industrial thyratrons are robust and reliable. If necessary they could be replaced by SCRs with suitable control circuitry. The entire motor control could also be replaced with a modern design. Ripping it all out and installing an induction motor would be a travesty.

Back