• PHISHING SCAM attempt TARGETING HOBBY-MACHINIST members. It has been brought to our attention that a pop-up survey is soliciting userfeedback from H-M members. In exchange for survey information, the user is given an opportunity to win a prize if they pay for shipping charges. This is NOT a Hobby Machinist program, survey or contest. DO NOT click through the links. Close your browser immediately and restart your computer. Clear cookies, cache and log back into Hobby Machinist. Again, this is NOT a Hobby Machinist contest or survey - IT IS a PHISHING SCAM attempt to get your credit card information.To close this notification, click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.

Monarch 18-BB or CBB UPDATED with New Pictures

will.mcray

Registered
Registered
Is there anyone in the group that has any experience or information they can share regarding a 1940 Monarch 18-BB or CBB? I just purchase on and need to get it home. Looks to be in amazing shape. This lathe is fitted with a 440v 3ph motor and I weighing the options of changing the motor to a 240v. Also looking to see pictures of others lathes.

87944000_10219605048250167_8719161460627865600_o.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Will

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The motor may possibly be dual voltage, but the problem may be with the magnetic contactor, where the coils would likely need to be changed to the lower voltage, but perhaps the solution might be to use a boost transformer and keep the control circuit on high volts.
I had a Monarch 12" CK in my shop that I sold, it was a pleasure to use! Another possibility would be to use a drum switch instead of the magnetic starter, that is what I did on my 19" Regal LeBlond at my home shop.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Those guys were way ahead of their time. I'd love to have a Monarch. maybe in my next life.
Good score man!

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Yes, that is the one! I saw one just like that about 25 or so years ago at a dealer's in Berkeley, but it was no cherry.

reds

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I wired my 14" AA Monarch directly to a VFD and eliminated any other switches . There is a reverse button on the VFD.
The good VFD's have good directions on wiring.

My Monarch is very similar to yours. Built in 1939.

will.mcray

Registered
Registered
I wired my 14" AA Monarch directly to a VFD and eliminated any other switches . There is a reverse button on the VFD.
The good VFD's have good directions on wiring.

My Monarch is very similar to yours. Built in 1939.
I'm glad you posted. I was thinking whether that was possible and as I tought about it, the lathe is all mechanical control, so its a matter of getting power to the motor.

Thanks!
Will

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock