Monarch 1944 12" CK

Obviously there are advantages to owning new machines, less trouble prone but not foolproof either.

Don't mind my grumbling.
Some new machines... I think the monarchs are high end, so owning a new high end machine (with a new set of problems) is not worth as much as having a tried and true master... She just needs (well all three) a little pampering, and she'll treat you right.

Some new machines... I think the monarchs are high end, so owning a new high end machine (with a new set of problems) is not worth as much as having a tried and true master... She just needs (well all three) a little pampering, and she'll treat you right.
I’m not about to give up on these old beasts. It will be years of work at my methodical plodding, but the machines will continue to be improved along with (hopefully) my skills. It really is a hobby/passion though, not a pragmatic approach to making things. These rough patches just point out things that need doing.

Glad to hear you are making progress. I share your fun at making the high end old stuff outperform. It always costs some money but still usually pretty low in comparison to new stuff. You are giving me incentive to tear into finishing up my Monarch soon. The fun of fixing machines is a hobby itself. Dave

I did pull the clutch apart again last night and put a bit of Loctite 641 (medium strength bearing retaining compound) around the sleeve and bearings. I had cut things to a tight slip fit not a press fit, and the tolerances and/or less than ground finish meant that there was just a bit of play in those fits, with the multiple stacked parts that added up.

Glad to hear you are making progress. I share your fun at making the high end old stuff outperform. It always costs some money but still usually pretty low in comparison to new stuff. You are giving me incentive to tear into finishing up my Monarch soon. The fun of fixing machines is a hobby itself. Dave
Let me know how work on your 61 goes. Nice looking machine from your earlier pictures.

Today's project was using some scraps from building the porch to make a chuck caddy for the lathe. The hoist helps getting the chucks on and off the lathe but I was still carrying them around after lowering them to the floor. Those 10" chucks get heavy.
Idea stolen from Tom Lipton.
IMG_4285.JPGIMG_4286.JPG

Today's project was using some scraps from building the porch to make a chuck caddy for the lathe. The hoist helps getting the chucks on and off the lathe but I was still carrying them around after lowering them to the floor. Those 10" chucks get heavy.
Idea stolen from Tom Lipton.
View attachment 389331View attachment 389332
Randal,
Does the hoist move on the gantry? Looks like you have a bolt at the end to prevent it from coming off... So I'll assume you put ball bearings on top of your attachment point.

Randal,
Does the hoist move on the gantry? Looks like you have a bolt at the end to prevent it from coming off... So I'll assume you put ball bearings on top of your attachment point.
Yes, some smaller roller bearings. The jib is also a bearing mounted shaft, a ridiculous overkill. I wouldn’t lift more than 100 lbs with it. But I wouldn’t be without it, very helpful for changing chucks, or pulling the tailstock, etc.

Yes, some smaller roller bearings. The jib is also a bearing mounted shaft, a ridiculous overkill. I wouldn’t lift more than 100 lbs with it. But I wouldn’t be without it, very helpful for changing chucks, or pulling the tailstock, etc.
Looks like it can take more than 100lbs

Looks like it can take more than 100lbs
I have hung my weight from it in three directions as a load test, so that is about 2.5x 100 lbs. Wall won’t allow full 360 degrees. But I like a good safety margin. The base is not embedded in concrete, it integrated with square tube that extends under the lathe as well as to the back and out to the sides. In essence the lathe sits on the crane base, raising the lathe up a bit over 2” to a good work height for me. So if I rearrange the crane goes with the lathe. Important since the DRO and control panel are mounted to the crane.

Back