Monarch 612-2516 lathe

As someone on another forum pointed out, I can use a CA post with a spacer under it. Why didn’t I think of that? I’m not intent on winning any heavy metal hogging competition so a CA post will save me some money, especially as I try to accumulate toolholders, etc.
The CA tool holders are not cheap even the used ones can be pricy that’s what I run on both my Monarchs

The CA tool holders are not cheap even the used ones can be pricy that’s what I run on both my Monarchs
Have you posted any details on your Monarchs? Pictures? Inquiring readers want to know! ;)

Have you posted any details on your Monarchs? Pictures? Inquiring readers want to know! ;)
So actually I will do that soon I’ve been sick here lately with a bacterial infection. At least I didn’t have Covid but it was a pain either way with how things are now in the medical system but I did some work on my 16 CY because I was lucky to find a donor lathe at the Junkyard of all places and if it wasn’t so beat up I would of taking in home and still might just for parts if anyone is looking

Small steps. Got the oil pump out of the apron, replaced the felt filter in the bottom of the pump. The one that was in there was soaked through and covered with a layer of sludge. I had a sheet of felt that I had ordered from McMasterr some time ago. I just cut a circle with a utility knife. The pump has three layers of screening, a piece of felt at the bottom, a fine screen which you can see sitting next to the not-very-circular felt piece, and a course screen which I did not remove from the pump to it isn't seen here. The screens and felt are held in with a V shaped ring and a retaining ring.

IMG_3989.JPGIMG_3990.JPG
The apron is a big casting, but the front face is an aluminum plate. I used a wire brush on an angle grinder to strip of grease and loose paint, the original green adhered fairly well and I prefer not to deal with the chemicals to prime aluminum, so I just painted over it like that after a couple of degreasing passes. Makes for a somewhat ugly paint job, but it matches the rest of the lathe.

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3993.JPGIMG_3994.JPG

This pump lubricates not only the apron, but also pumps oil through the carriage to lubricate the ways. So it is fairly important to the long term health of the ways. All three monarchs that I own use a similar arrangement, and the pump is relatively easy to access. The manual for this lathe specifies replacing the filter every 6 months, but that is for an industrial environment. I doubt I'll put equivalent time on the lathe in 6 years.

I think at this point I'm going to bolt the apron up to the carriage and try it out. Ideally I'd go through the carriage oil lines and make sure none of them are plugged up with sludge. Sometimes I find getting it working and seeing what else needs attention is better than trying to systematically go through everything, at least that keeps me interested in the work.

Last edited:
Aloris CA post next to the original 4 way toolpost. The CA looks a little small on the compound, I'll need to raise it just under 1/4" for 1/2" tools to reach centerline.
View attachment 375135View attachment 375136
That’s what size tool post I have on Both my Monarch lathes (16CY that swings 18”) and (16x30 that swings 20-1/2”) and them CA tool holders are not cheap even the used ones people want $75-$125 each !!im thinking I might try and make some this fall or winter if I can find the time but I can definitely see where you could use a DA size tool post on your lathe but again the price of them used is up there also

That’s what size tool post I have on Both my Monarch lathes (16CY that swings 18”) and (16x30 that swings 20-1/2”) and them CA tool holders are not cheap even the used ones people want $75-$125 each !!im thinking I might try and make some this fall or winter if I can find the time but I can definitely see where you could use a DA size tool post on your lathe but again the price of them used is up there also
Shars sells Aloris brand type #1 for just under $100, and their own brand for just under $40. I intend to pick up a couple of their’s to see how well they work with the Aloris post.

Shars sells Aloris brand type #1 for just under $100, and their own brand for just under $40. I intend to pick up a couple of their’s to see how well they work with the Aloris post.
I will definitely have to look into that because the ones I have came with the lathe and I want to get some more

Aloris CA post next to the original 4 way toolpost. The CA looks a little small on the compound, I'll need to raise it just under 1/4" for 1/2" tools to reach centerline.
View attachment 375135View attachment 375136
That CA looks a little sad next to the 4 way. I assume you would like to stick with the CA as your other Monarch's already use them and you can share tools between them.

That CA looks a little sad next to the 4 way. I assume you would like to stick with the CA as your other Monarch's already use them and you can share tools between them.
It really does look sad! My other lathes use BXA's, DAM 79 is the one with other CA based machines. I'm fine with the CA as I don't see a need for using larger tools or more DoC capability. The additional cost of a DA post, and more so the cost of DA holders as I accumulate a large set, is the negative for the DA post. I will end up making a plate to go under the CA to raise it up about .20" so that I can use some of my smaller 1/2" shank insert holders in this lathe. (Won't that look ridiculous?!). I hope to accumulate basic tools in 1" shank, but I suspect I'll always have more in the 1/2" for the BXA's.

Back