SM Monarch. Id

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
Here's the eBay like to the 2 mon lathes give them a look and tell me if their worth a little more than scrap price.

I already have 3 other lathes. ,a mllling machine , a shaper but I d like to have a big ole lathe.

Thanks. Ron

Monarch's are very high quality machines, very heavy built. If those two are not completely worn out, then I would say they would be a good buy. The only way to really know is to look at them in person.

That's kinda what I thought. 5 years ago I'd blow a thousand on a drunken weekend

Don't drink or smoke now so??

For got to mention. I bought a jd 3320 tractor a couple of months ago and haven't worked in 3 years come January

Thanks. Ron

That's kinda what I thought. 5 years ago I'd blow a thousand on a drunken weekend

Don't drink or smoke now so??

For got to mention. I bought a jd 3320 tractor a couple of months ago and haven't worked in 3 years come January

Thanks. Ron

Well you gotta spend it somewhere, may as well be another chunk of iron or two.:lmao:

I seriously doubt that either one of those machines will go for $500. Either one has a scrap value that exceeds that. I think that scrap iron goes for about $0.40 per pound. A Monarch 16x30 weighs 4800 pounds or more (depending on the model), so it's worth almost $2000 as scrap iron. A guess is that the 18x120 weighs close to 10,000 lbs. The shop owner might take less than scrap, just to keep a faithful old machine from winding up as rebar, but he might not...

If you haven't spent much time on eBay, be aware that there can be several people planning to bid on the machines that are using "sniping" services, such as esnipe. They allow you to set up a bid that will be automatically submitted seconds before the auction ends. But even if you won it for $500, the seller can cancel the bid and scrap the machine for more money. If you want one of the machines, figure out what the maximum amount that you're willing to spend and put that amount in close to the end of the auction.

Cal

If you haven't spent much time on eBay, be aware that there can be several people planning to bid on the machines that are using "sniping" services, such as esnipe. They allow you to set up a bid that will be automatically submitted seconds before the auction ends.

esnipe?
That's how they do it!

Daryl
MN

Cal
I think you need to check your scrap prices. .40 a pound is 800 a ton. I live 15 miles from a very large steel mill that has a huge demand for scrap.

You would be lucky to get .10 a pound because it's a mix of cast steel and oil. It has to be processed they can't just dump a lathe in a electric furnace. Oil. Water very bad.
Plus they would have to take them to some one willing to buy them. Their in Parkersburg. Wva.

Thanks ron

You would be lucky to get .10 a pound because it's a mix of cast steel and oil. ...
Thanks Ron. The .40 a pound was based on what a scrapper in Texas resold a Van Norman No. 12S to a member here for. The scrapper told him that he could have the machine for scrap iron price, but that was probably the clean scrap price.

I haven't been able to find a website that list US scrap iron prices.

I hope you're able to get one of the lathes.

Cal

I wasn't trying to beat on you cal. I've never been around a monarch but from reading your posts I want one.

Scrap prices are funny business. Mixed, cleaned cast,steel , mixed, size of pices and demand. I've seen it move 300.00 a ton in a month.
The only reason I know this is my father has bought and sold scrap since the60s. He's now 84 and still at it.

What can you tell from the pics to tell me

Thanks ron

Go to rock way recycling.com. They give a pretty good range of prices. And ember you're selling a long ton. Or gross ton. = 2200. Lb
Thanks ron

Website is. Rockawayrecycling.com

Back