Monarch K-13 - Taper Attachment MIA

63steward

Registered
Registered
lozuzISiTgmFCsWw0w+5Rw.jpgZtzhhdTdQmeVa+6XcHqcWg.jpgHV8COdB8QPCS3Smqmhp0oQ.jpgvQ5P%upiQkeP4Def7KsXGw.jpgcauanDn9SAWm%hXYYectPQ.jpgb+3y80%lQceWYwyixJRdeA.jpgWyjVqMcjQo+j+Wmk6GdNgQ.jpgHi All,
I looked through the threads on this subject and found most have been inactive for some time. I bought a K-13 x 30" at an auction and so far, I think it was worth it. It came with a taper attachment and two smaller 3 and 4 jaw chucks, as well as two large ones, all, buck, bison, or Pratt & Burnerd. Haven't run it yet, just got sub panel and branch circuits in and approved. The machine looks like it could have had better maintenance but not complaining. I am going to move it, get it off the trucks I used to offload from a tilt deck and hook up a Lenze VFD soon. I want to get it cleaned up, relaxed, new belts and check gear train and motor out.

Problem is- the bed clamp and bed bracket for the taper attachment are missing. Anybody out there know of someone parting out a K-13 or K-16? Keith Rucker did a long series on restoring his, the taper attachment episode shows the pieces I need. He doesn't respond my queries, thought he might know. Monarch wants your firstborn to replace them. Cant fault them, at least we can still get parts. So, for not having run the machine, I am very impressed with the build quality and engineering. Mine is smaller by far than a 10EE or better, but still a hefty 3800 lbs. If anyone has any ideas on replacement parts, Id love to hear it.

Hers some pics:b+3y80%lQceWYwyixJRdeA.jpg

It might be easier to build up you own bed clamp-bracket than trying to locate an existing one. On my 14-C, the bottom clamp part
was missing so I had to machine one up. The top part could be fabricated as as weldment. At least you have the taper attachment
for the machine! Building one of those would be a real challenge with all the bearings and slides in it. Basically all that is needed is to
immobilize the rod(keep it from moving) when using the taper attachment. The clamp is movable on the bed however so that the
taper attachment can be used in various setups. Good luck with your new machine.:)

Hi Cathead,
Pardon the typos in my original post, I was tired. True enough, I'm happy about that accident, I didn't know it had one when I bid on it.. I think you're right, I may have to build one. A member of Practical Machinist has a longer one I may be able to modify, that he may be willing to part with. Monarch wants $900.00 for the bracket, and $190.00 for the clamp, which is really just a post w/ a stud in it. Again, not *****ing, but a little pricey. Seems like a good machine overall, and am looking forward to getting it running when I can get some time. I'm resisting the urge to take it apart and "restore" it. If it ain't broke...
Thanks for the feedback!

Very fine machine, very fine taper attachment; I had a model CK 12" in my shop that I sold and retired. The taper attachment has about double the angular capacity of most all other makes. on mine, in addition to the rod that connects the bracket to the slide, there was a second rod that locks the slide from moving when the bracket is not locked to the bed; this important since there is so little friction in the slides that accidental movement of the cross feed is possible.

Hi John,
Thanks, it seems to be a keeper. Will need some work, but believe the machine's quality warrants it. I haven't begun rehabilitating it, but I do like it. As for the taper, you saw some of the photos. I just have the one control rod. One of the members on this forum has arranged to send me a bracket that I may be to modify. I'll update this when i have something useful to report.
Thanks Fellas!

Somebody robbed the taper attachment from my K16 before I bought it. I wish I could run across one forsale. Good luck with your endeavor.

Last edited:
Hi NC,
Me too! I found one from a much larger model that I will have to modify for now. Monarch sells them for the K-13, but they cost $895.00. I have the quote somewhere if you need contact info. A lot of buckets for a casting, but glad they still have parts available. Good luck! I will post some pics if I get it modified. Im waiting for it in the mail from a member of practical Machinist forum.

On another note, anybody know where i could buy a bed for a Kalamazoo P-45 horizontal bandsaw? Bought for a dealer and got a badly damaged casting.
Be Well

Back