Monarch Lathe bushing replacement

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
View media item 96021View media item 95961View media item 95960Today I got to use the new home made boring head for the first time. In doing some routine cleaning on the Monarch Lathe, I found a bushing in the feed extremely loose. On closer examination, the wear on this bronze
bushing had almost 1/8 inch play! There is an oil reservoir that allows oil to flow to various moving parts.
Apparently the oil line feeding this bushing was clogged or the previous operator ran it a long time without
oiling it. I didn't have any bronze so machined up a thin wall pipe and lined the pipe with molten babbitt.
The babbitt I have is called Magnolia Antifriction Metal. Also I machined some grooves down the inside
of the thin wall pipe so the bearing material would not turn in the cylinder. I added a 3/4 inch core so the
bushing would have a 3/4 hole in it. Then I set up the boring head in the mill and bored the babbitt to exactly
one inch. Babbitt machines like butter so it was an easy job. Then I drilled an oil hole in the new bushing and
grooved the babbitt so the oil could flow over the whole bearing. The feed shaft had some wear on it but the
bearing had a relatively tight fit so decided to Install the bush and use the same shafting. Once the
feed shaft was installed, I could not discern any free play so the repair was successful. Reassembly was
pretty straight forward installing the tapered pins and bolting up the assembly. Also, I had the opportunity
to do some housekeeping inside the gear box as there were a few chips that had made their way inside.
I did test the oil line after installing the bushing to make sure that the bushing would receive oil. After
assembly, I test ran the machine to verify that everything was functioning properly.

View media item 96020View media item 96019View media item 96018

Last edited:
Cathead
Nice old lathe. That's a nice old brass "Flame Hardened Ways" tag on your Monarch.

Hal

The placards are all made of brass. This is a 40's vintage machine so it probably saw a lot of use
in the war years. The placard listing the machine size is all beat up from the operator holding tools
while changing speeds. (Not Me ;))

Back