Monarch lathe

Cal, the reason I said a vfd is it needs to be run on 3 phase. Im a newbie at this phase converting stuff. Are you saying that I will need a rotary phase converter then?

Thanks for the info and offer of assistance John. I'm sure I'll be in contact with you quite a bit on this adventure. So to supply the power I'll need a rotary converter?

John,

This is a late model round-dial 10EE. They were only available with motor/generator (MG) drives. Tube drive machines were not introduced until several years after the last round-dial was built.

Phil,
$1300 for that lathe with the tooling mentioned is a great deal! Go give him the money now!!!:thumbsup:
Worry about picking it up later. (We can talk about that another time.)

A VFD could be used to run the motor/generator, but that's overkill. We can do it for less money. Tearing out a working MG set and replacing it with an AC motor and VFD is just nuts. Yes the MG is 3-phase, but that's no biggie. Get the machine, lets see what you've got and we'll go from there. For all we know, some idiot has already "upgraded" it to an AC motor and VFD--which would be like "upgrading" your classic 60's muscle car by dropping in the engine from a KIA (it's computer controlled an has fuel injection, so it must be better right? WRONG!)

Cal

I can't make it there until next Saturday as our work schedules won't allow it. He seemed like a stand up guy though so hopefully he will hold it for me. I wish I had taken a closer look at it but since there was a shop full of other goodies, see my other thread, and it would not come on I kind of wrote it off. You are right it could already be butchered up drive wise. It was running off a rotary phase converter so maybe it's still fairly original. Maybe I should offer to go ahead and mail him a check for it to be sure he will hold it for me. Could you pm me your email address and I'll send you some pics of what the electrical looks like when I pick it up?

Thanks,

Phil

Back