Monarch lathe

Was the K a lower cost model for Monarch and what are the main differences? Dave

@DAM 79
Looks like that 61 has a nice sized 4-jaw on it. Is that a 20" model?

Was the K a lower cost model for Monarch and what are the main differences? Dave
I would say yes because it is not as beefy as say a 61 series in the same size. My 16x54 weighs in at about 4500 pounds. A 61 series in 16x 54 is twice as heavy.

Here is the operator manual for the K from vintagemachinery.org. Per that manual, "Here is Monarch's answer to the need for an economical turning machine ...", so that does seem to imply a lower cost model. It looks to me like the CK, CY, CW designs of the 40's morphed into the more upscale series 60 and 61 machines, and the K was basically bringing back much of those designs, without the on-carriage leadscrew reverse.

Here is another Model K manual, presumably from later. It also refers to it as a low cost model.

I haven't used one, but Keith Rucker (youtube) seems to like his. Looks like 5-7.5 HP was typical. From comments on PM, they are respectable machines, not quite as rigid as a 10EE or the larger machines, but capable of nice work.

Mine came with a 5hp motor. For what I paid for it I can't complain. It does what I need it to do.

@DAM 79
Looks like that 61 has a nice sized 4-jaw on it. Is that a 20" model?
So here the name plate it’s a 16X54 but swings 20” the chuck day on it is a 18” four Jaw Cushman that looks to be in great shape and I really didn’t need another lathe but the this deal was really good and would of been hard to past up and it will do anything I need it to and it matches my 16X30 so how cool is that . I don’t think I’ll need anything bigger or larger swing as this lathe will do a lot it also comes with a steady rest but I don’t think it’s the right one for the lathe so I’ll either need to make a adapter for it or sell it I’ll just have to look at it once I have it at my place . And that brings me to my one Monarch if my neighbor doesn’t buy my 16 CY it will be up for sale here soon

Attachments

• E8EF12C9-C725-47DB-9CC7-35091E65F0F3.jpeg
    E8EF12C9-C725-47DB-9CC7-35091E65F0F3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Mine came with a 5hp motor. For what I paid for it I can't complain. It does what I need it to do.
The times I’ve seen you run your Model K it looks like I really nice Lathe

Hopefully not. Looking at a 25N that is 27x144. Nice size.
NCjeeper did you see all the machinery for sale there outside of Richmond ??? The guy has like 4 lathes ,Big radial arm drill etc. and everything was make a over I think is was from a plant closure all the Lathes were Monarch and several were Big long Bed ?? This was on Craigslist

Back