Monarch lathe

You guys are making me Soooo envious with your big boy Monarchs. Especially those with multiple ones. Does my little CK qualify me to join your Monarchs Anonymous or do I have to just watch through a window while you convene your meetings?
Open to all have Monarch fever, whether you own one or none.
A CK is where I started ...

Personally, while I like my Monarchs, I don't have any real experience with other old American machines to say they're better or worse than others. For true Monarch monsters, have you seen Youtube's bcbloc02's Series 90? 50HP motor.

There's a Model 61 on CL in Corvallis right now.
Interesting to see that one has an intact air tracer. Those seem to get frequently removed.

Yes you are right about that this is the one lathe that will pretty much do anything I want or need with the size and capacity and I really need at some point a smaller lathe to do little things but this lathe will be my work horse and that’s why I’m going to sell my 16CY because the series 61 is in awesome shape and I’m keeping my series 60-61 because they pretty much match !!
So you'll have two series 60/61s? Nice.
Not that there is anything wrong with adding more toys, but what is driving you toward adding a smaller lathe? RPM limit?
That 18" Cushman 4 jaw is a nice chuck! I'm going to need something like that for me 612. I have a 12" 3 jaw on it, and an 8" 6-jaw for it, but would like a 16" - 20" 4 jaw with the T-slots.

Last edited:
What kind of power supply do you need to run a 50hp lathe?
I've had the same question. As far as I can tell from his videos he's running it off a 30HP idler American Rotary phase converter, which I'm surprised even starts it. He has said he can't get full power from the lathe. Full power that thing would need over 40KW of electricity, around 170A at 240v single phase. I'd think a 50HP motor would require 480V, even there you'd pull ballpark 50a on each 3 phase leg at full HP.

you would need a 400 amp service @ 240v. I run a 30 hp wide belt and 7.5 hp dust collector and it is about as far as my 200 amp service will go under heavy load. Dave

I'm waiting for the power co to review my 400a upgrade. Even with a service that will cover the 20HP phase converter, they get nervous about startup loads causing flickering on the line for neighbors.

I've had the same question. As far as I can tell from his videos he's running it off a 30HP idler American Rotary phase converter, which I'm surprised even starts it. He has said he can't get full power from the lathe. Full power that thing would need over 40KW of electricity, around 170A at 240v single phase. I'd think a 50HP motor would require 480V, even there you'd pull ballpark 50a on each 3 phase leg at full HP.
WOW!! Wouldn't that be like $1 per revolution? :confusion::wink:

I remember in one of Brian's videos he showed he picked up a transformer for the lathe so I am pretty sure he is running high voltage to it.

So you'll have two series 60/61s? Nice.
Not that there is anything wrong with adding more toys, but what is driving you toward adding a smaller lathe? RPM limit?
That 18" Cushman 4 jaw is a nice chuck! I'm going to need something like that for me 612. I have a 12" 3 jaw on it, and an 8" 6-jaw for it, but would like a 16" - 20" 4 jaw with the T-slots.
I would like to have a small 10” lathe just for doing little stuff so I don’t have to chuck up a smaller chuck that is what I normally do now .I also have a big 16”or 18” faceplate and two smaller 3 jaw chucks one only has outside jaws .I need to find another set of jaws for that one and the other small one the jaws are bell mouthed so I need to grind them .And then I have a 15” 3 jaw chuck too it’s on my 16 CY and then my 16X30 has a 10” -6-jaw buck chuck adjust a true and I have two sets of jaws for that one

Here’s my little one as I call it 16X30 and it originally came with a tracer attachment and a collet chuck when it was ordered from Monarch

Attachments

• 3C9EE71A-C60B-41D7-ACEB-D34D73C78136.jpeg
    3C9EE71A-C60B-41D7-ACEB-D34D73C78136.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 17
Back