Monarch? or Standard Modern?

rmsflorida

Active User
Registered
Isn't strange...Most all the post here are issues with Monarch..Not Standard Modern
I had sold My Monarch almost a year ago.. beautiful machine.. just didn't have enough "high precision" class of work for it.
In my shop I have 20"Lodge & Shipley Power Turn, Hardinge HLVH, Big 4"+thru hole headstock, 112" CtoC Meuser
and 3 Standard Moderns all machine are like new condition and tooled out to the max
Standard Modern keeps running without problems.
17X54 I bought new in 1977
13x36 got out of "National Cash Register"with a turret attachment some 20 years ago.
20X60 got from Government Surplus.
They paid $72.000 for it in 1986 (had less then 1800 hours on it),that was 2 years ago.
I'm just about finish with it's cleaning up and will be repainting it soon.

The only issues I ever had with the Standard Modern was a brake adjustment on the 17X54
and a bronze bearing in the head stock on the 13X36 from in proper lubrication when I bought it 16 years ago.
(NCR ran the hell out of it and never took care of it)

Standard Modern keeps running without any real problems.
New or used one can't go wrong.

Has anyone had issues with SM ?
Robbie

"Has anyone had issues with SM ?"

The only issue I have is that I don't have one. Never seen one come up for sale in my area. I guess that says something right there.

Chuck

SM are around but they just do not seem to be available to buy as much as other makes are. There only 2 in my area right now vs many of other makes. They are also not cheap both are 1336s near 4k each.
Pierre

Yeah, I had problems all right... Problems finding one. It was on my short list of lathes when I was in the market last year. They're darn near impossible to obtain...

A lot of people are scared-off by the stability of the company though. Their web site is up but hasn't been updated since Windows 95 came out and they've been in partial bankruptcy from what I understand. I recently heard though they're solving their issues and are doing some sales or manufacturing somewhere out of Pennsylvania -that's not confirmed though.

Nice machines. They were standard equipment on a lot of US naval vessels and on many Merchant Marine operated craft.

Ray

SM in our school shop as well. We never got our hands on it, as our shop teacher was very tight butt about his babies. There was 3 in the shop, 2 regular equipment supplied and the teachers pet with all the goodies.

Later they were sold off for $500 each! Nowadays the businesses that could use trained operators to start apprenticeships are not happy as the school systems only train button pushers that never seen a machine until they hit the shop floor.

But this is another heated topic.
Pierre

Back