Monkey Ward Logan

FarmDad

Registered
Registered
I picked this up at a farm auction last weekend simply because I thought it was selling too cheap . I know nothing about logan lathes and was wondering just which actual logan model it corresponds to ? Pictures are on imgur for now because that was what was easy to get off the phone .
Model number if it didn't come out good on pic is 84tlc-2136
It ran when i unloaded it at home but then simply stopped like power was cut so i guess ill have to look at the motor a bit and possibly get it fixed . Its the original powr kraft 1/2 horse with a reversing toggle switch on it .

T. J.

Registered
Registered
Nice machine! I have one just like it. Don't hesitate to ask questions, as there is a very good knowledge base on this site. As was mentioned, the Logan site has a lot of information and replacement parts (www.lathe.com).

FarmDad

Registered
Registered
Found the motor problem , just a wiring issue . The only other issues i can see with it is that the latch for backgear rod is frozen so that it wont engage and I am not sure that the compound slide dial is going to clean up enough to read well . The chuck is stuck on the spindle but that is not likely to be much of a problem to get free. The bed and ways are in Great shape shoing no wear at all and only one chip on the back v that kinda looks like someone dropped a chuck on it .
I am still curious what logan model or series it is equivalent to , all i have done looking at logans is confuse myself lol . It looks to be a 10x31 from what i can measure of the bed

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
If it has change gears, then it would equivalent to a Logan 200, though the Logan has a different countershaft arrangement. Otherwise, it's pretty similar. Those are good lathes.

FarmDad

Registered
Registered
Thanks , I didn't get much of any thing in the way of tooling with it aside from the tailstock and a couple of jacobs chucks , but I have an atlas 10 inch that I can swap chucks , faceplates, ect around with . I will need to find or build a steady rest for it though .

Nogoingback

Logan parts are prett easy to find on eBay. You might find a steady fir it there.

Did you get a Jacobs spindle chuck, or are they tailstock chucks?

If you get to it, we'd like to see a few more pics. :)

FarmDad

Registered
Registered
On the chucks .. They are tailstock mt with an adapter to size up to the headstock spindle . Ill try and get some more pics but likely not today due to other time commitments .

Briney Eye

Found the motor problem , just a wiring issue . The only other issues i can see with it is that the latch for backgear rod is frozen so that it wont engage and I am not sure that the compound slide dial is going to clean up enough to read well . The chuck is stuck on the spindle but that is not likely to be much of a problem to get free. The bed and ways are in Great shape shoing no wear at all and only one chip on the back v that kinda looks like someone dropped a chuck on it .
I am still curious what logan model or series it is equivalent to , all i have done looking at logans is confuse myself lol . It looks to be a 10x31 from what i can measure of the bed
I suggest that you invest in a manual and parts catalog from Scott. Looks like you have this one:

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock