Monkey Ward Logan

FarmDad

Registered
Registered
I picked this up at a farm auction last weekend simply because I thought it was selling too cheap . I know nothing about logan lathes and was wondering just which actual logan model it corresponds to ? Pictures are on imgur for now because that was what was easy to get off the phone .
Model number if it didn't come out good on pic is 84tlc-2136
It ran when i unloaded it at home but then simply stopped like power was cut so i guess ill have to look at the motor a bit and possibly get it fixed . Its the original powr kraft 1/2 horse with a reversing toggle switch on it .

Those are a good little lathe to have, especially with the quick change gearbox on it.
My first personal lathe was one just like it, and I still kick myself for selling it.....................:frown:
You can still get parts for it from Logan Actuator, and there are plenty of guys on this site who have them also................

Nice machine! I have one just like it. Don't hesitate to ask questions, as there is a very good knowledge base on this site. As was mentioned, the Logan site has a lot of information and replacement parts (www.lathe.com).

Found the motor problem , just a wiring issue . The only other issues i can see with it is that the latch for backgear rod is frozen so that it wont engage and I am not sure that the compound slide dial is going to clean up enough to read well . The chuck is stuck on the spindle but that is not likely to be much of a problem to get free. The bed and ways are in Great shape shoing no wear at all and only one chip on the back v that kinda looks like someone dropped a chuck on it .
I am still curious what logan model or series it is equivalent to , all i have done looking at logans is confuse myself lol . It looks to be a 10x31 from what i can measure of the bed

If it has change gears, then it would equivalent to a Logan 200, though the Logan has a different countershaft arrangement. Otherwise, it's pretty similar. Those are good lathes.

Thanks , I didn't get much of any thing in the way of tooling with it aside from the tailstock and a couple of jacobs chucks , but I have an atlas 10 inch that I can swap chucks , faceplates, ect around with . I will need to find or build a steady rest for it though .

Logan parts are prett easy to find on eBay. You might find a steady fir it there.

Did you get a Jacobs spindle chuck, or are they tailstock chucks?

If you get to it, we'd like to see a few more pics. :)

On the chucks .. They are tailstock mt with an adapter to size up to the headstock spindle . Ill try and get some more pics but likely not today due to other time commitments .

Found the motor problem , just a wiring issue . The only other issues i can see with it is that the latch for backgear rod is frozen so that it wont engage and I am not sure that the compound slide dial is going to clean up enough to read well . The chuck is stuck on the spindle but that is not likely to be much of a problem to get free. The bed and ways are in Great shape shoing no wear at all and only one chip on the back v that kinda looks like someone dropped a chuck on it .
I am still curious what logan model or series it is equivalent to , all i have done looking at logans is confuse myself lol . It looks to be a 10x31 from what i can measure of the bed

I suggest that you invest in a manual and parts catalog from Scott. Looks like you have this one:

Back