Monster Old Vise

btdahl

Registered
Registered
I recently came into ownership of a monster antique vise. The thing is massive, looks like you could put an i beam in this thing. I have searched all over google and can not find this exact vise anywhere. It has stamped on it: "Clincher 37 1/2 Massey Vise Co Chicago". Any information on it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• VISE.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 81
There's a huge vise following over on GJ, I'm sure you can find more info there.

Post up more pictures, that looks like a beast.

Thanks for the quick response francist. So I looked up those Archives and all I could find was these two pics. I think maybe they made my vice before the release of the catalog which these pics were pulled from. So maybe it didnt sell so they discontinued it, or perhaps they started manufacturing it after this catalog. My vise is not in there. It has 8 inch jaw width, a 6 inch throat depth, and 13 inches opened up. I just threw it on the scale and it weighs in at 195.8 lbs. ( I had to take it apart and weigh the two halves separately and add them together as the scale I have was a simple bathroom scale and it did not give a reading with the whole vice sitting on there.) The thing is a beast. Also its the fixed base not the swivel.

Attachments

• Massey Vise Co 2.jpeg
    Massey Vise Co 2.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Masseys Vises 1903_0000.jpeg
    Masseys Vises 1903_0000.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
There's a huge vise following over on GJ, I'm sure you can find more info there.

Post up more pictures, that looks like a beast.
Ill get some more pics up momentarily. That spreadsheet is great thanks

Heres more pics. Bottle of ozarka is in pic for size comparison.

Attachments

• vise water.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • vise 04.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • vise 02.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
It is in great shape. 8" vises are few and far between, enjoy it!

more pics with measurements

Attachments

• vise tape 3.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • vise tape 2.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • vise tape 1.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Back