Moody lathe.... South bend clone made in canada ...

Well, I am stiil trying to figure out how the spindle will come out...

Here's a pic of the set-up that I tried last weekend...

IMGP0618800x600_zps038281df.jpg

IMGP0619800x600_zps8ca16b8c.jpg

This didn't budge the spindle one bit. I'll have to dedicate some time to see if there is any additional mechanical items that need to be removed....

Brian

IMGP0618800x600_zps038281df.jpg

IMGP0619800x600_zps8ca16b8c.jpg

Brian, Any spindle that I have ever removed just pushed out the front of the casting. It can be kind of hard to get it moving, but once it starts it usually pushes out fairly easily. Make sure you haven't missed any set screws. There is usually one on the bull gear....sometimes you might find another one somewhere else. I've always used a dead blow hammer to get it moving, but if your using the puller setup I would think you would want to use something that doesn't give. I would replace the wooden blocks with steel. You want it to pop free. Lube it up real well and let it sit with pressure on it and it will probably break free. I'm sure you'll get it out one way or another.

Chuck

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to clean it carefully and look for additional grub screws.

Brian :)

Hello Chuck,

Well, no luck with the spindle removal... I did as you suggested and it didn't budge at all. I looked and prodded and looked some more, but couldn't find anything that needed to come out or loosened. That doesn't mean that there isn't something that I missed, but so far I can't sort it out. So, I put the headstock back onto the lathe bed and installed the feet and bed to the leg/chip tray assembly and am continuing on with cleaning, painting and re-assembly.

I am hoping that in the near future that I will come across some knowledge, but for the time being, I will carry on.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions... :)

Brian

It's probably just stuck in place. Some come out easy...others can be a pia. It's just a matter of getting it to start moving. I would think that a combination of your puller setup and a whack from a deadblow hammer while you have tension on the puller would get it going. I've heard of people using heat, but I would think that would be a last resort. You"ll get it.

Chuck

Well, it's been awhile. I never did get the spindle out, although I tried and tried.... Over the last week or so, I finally got the lathe finished, with a new forward/ reverse drum switch and wired in the motor to 110 volts.

Here's a few pics...

IMGP0679800x600_zpsc727bd1f.jpg

IMGP0680800x600_zpsb2a58ce2.jpg

IMGP0682800x600_zps3042dabf.jpg

IMGP0681800x600_zpscc7b0657.jpg

IMGP0685800x600_zps3ac52588.jpg

IMGP0684800x600_zps11a1a3b3.jpg

IMGP0687800x600_zpsa1b17130.jpg

It runs like a champ.... but my original intention was to fix it up and re-sell it, so I put it on Kijiji on Wednesday night and had it sold by 8:00 a.m. the next morning, with 5 other guys waiting in the wings, in case the deal fell through. The response was overwhelming. I could have had a bidding war if I had allowed it. A couple of the guys wanted to rush right out and buy it from underneath the first fellow who was on his way over from an hour's distance. I suppose it's smallish size and weight as well as it being powered for 110 volts were what was so appealing.

I had just a small tug of regret as we loaded it, but I know that this fellow will have fun with it and take good care of it.

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, just as a comparison....

OldLath_zps5d967b38.jpg

This is what it looked like when I bought it... :yikes:

- - - Updated - - -

You did a nice job on the restore. There's not many good lathes of that size in the NB area, so I'm not surprised it sold so quickly.

Brian,

That turned out really nice. Good job!!! And thanks for adding the "before" pic, that really put's it in perspective.

Steve

Great job on restoring the old girl. She looks good again, before and after pic is quite impressive.
P.S. Nice general mortiser in the back ground.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.... :)

Thanks Greg, that General mortiser works very well. I struggled in the past with an attachment for my drill press and finally bought the mortiser. It has way more capacity than I will ever likely use, like that the fence can swivel as well as the column tilts and has a capacity of up to a 1" mortising chisel.

It really came in handy with this divided light set of doors for a hutch that I built...

IMGP0958800x600.jpg

IMGP0959800x600.jpg

IMGP0960800x600.jpg

IMGP0961800x600-1.jpg

IMGP0962800x600-1.jpg

Cheers.... :)

Brian

Back