Moody lathe.... South bend clone made in canada ...

Very cool, so it appears that you are like me, a woodworker first and a hobby machinist second.

Hello Greg,

Yes, that is the case. I've been working as a carpenter for 27 years and always had a fascination for metalworking. I also collect old wooden handplanes and after reproducing some plow planes and having to struggle with making the metal parts on a drill press, I decided to buy a milling machine...... and now I've started down that slippery slope...

Brian

Well, it's been awhile. I never did get the spindle out, although I tried and tried.... Over the last week or so, I finally got the lathe finished, with a new forward/ reverse drum switch and wired in the motor to 110 volts.

Here's a few pics...

View attachment 166442

View attachment 166443

View attachment 166444

View attachment 166443

View attachment 166446

View attachment 166447

View attachment 166448

View attachment 166449

It runs like a champ.... but my original intention was to fix it up and re-sell it, so I put it on Kijiji on Wednesday night and had it sold by 8:00 a.m. the next morning, with 5 other guys waiting in the wings, in case the deal fell through. The response was overwhelming. I could have had a bidding war if I had allowed it. A couple of the guys wanted to rush right out and buy it from underneath the first fellow who was on his way over from an hour's distance. I suppose it's smallish size and weight as well as it being powered for 110 volts were what was so appealing.

I had just a small tug of regret as we loaded it, but I know that this fellow will have fun with it and take good care of it.

Brian

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, just as a comparison....

View attachment 166450

This is what it looked like when I bought it... :yikes:

- - - Updated - - -

Man really wish you'd figured out the spindle. I'm at the same point now with the same lathe. Does not want to budge for me either. We seem to be the only 2 people in the world who've worked on or even seen these lathes lol. Your finished restore looks great though!

image.jpeg

Don't know if you saw this in your attempt. There is a small pin or something at the rear gear of the spindle. It is between the gear and the bearing. Don't know what it's for but thinking its a spacer.
Also had a thought that MAYBE if you push the spindle back first it might push the bearing out? Probably not but curious what it's for.

image.jpeg

So I'm thinking this is not going to work... Just snapped a 1/2" threaded rod I was using as a puller in half

image.jpeg

It looked as though Moody went one better than South Bend and used ball or roller bearings in the headstock-no wonder it was so easy to sell!
Mark S.

It looked as though Moody went one better than South Bend and used ball or roller bearings in the headstock-no wonder it was so easy to sell!
Mark S.

A little hard to see here but you can kind of make it out.

image.jpeg

Well I guess it would be safe to say that you will be replacing the bearings, especially after crushing the crap out of them trying to pull the spindle with enough force to snap the steel rod, lol. Actually it's a good thing to replace the bearings at the machines age, you probably will never do it again! it's all a learning curve my friend.

Back