Moody lathe.... South bend clone made in canada ...

Well I guess it would be safe to say that you will be replacing the bearings, especially after crushing the crap out of them trying to pull the spindle with enough force to snap the steel rod, lol. Actually it's a good thing to replace the bearings at the machines age, you probably will never do it again! it's all a learning curve my friend.

If anything it would only be the back bearing. It seems the head is cast in such a way that the bearing at the back has to be pulled off the shaft to remove the spindle. I only pulled on the spindle itself no direct force on the bearing. I don't understand why it does not budge AT ALL as all the videos I've watched show these bearings slipping off relatively easily. I've been over the entire headstock very thouroughly and I'm sure there are no retaining screws anywhere that I am missing. It should just pull out.

I've also determined that it HAS to come out the front as the opening is cast to the exact size of the spindle in the other direction. It is a frustrating puzzle but I'm usually good with puzzles so I should figure it out eventually. I just hope I don't irreversibly damage anything in the process.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well I finally got it! Needed to adjust my puller a bit. I think it was just the keyway on the bull gear that was really tight. Glad I got it. There was SO MUCH crud in the bearing pockets that needed to be cleaned out. Years and years of axel grease squeezed in and jamming everything up.

Hey you got it! Great! I was really curious to see what was in there.
Mark S.

Me too! Pretty straight forward stuff it seems. 4 fibre washers or wicks maybe? You can see one on the bearing on the spindle. A really deep half moon key on the bull gear. The pin I pointed to earlier is on a spring. I think my intuition that it was a spacer is correct.

View attachment 229760 Anyone know where to get washers like the one on this bearing?
I'm going to guess that your probably going to have to make your own for that lathe. Just going to have to do some searching for the felt material. You might be able to find some round material and cut it to length and connect with a dab of super glue. Or stamp out some rounds out of flat material. Make your own cutters to do that out of sharpened pipe or whatever you find for the sizes you need. Maybe try McMaster carr to see if they cary any kind of felt washers or material. I would think chances of finding one felt washers for that lathe would be slim.

I'm going to guess that your probably going to have to make your own for that lathe. Just going to have to do some searching for the felt material. You might be able to find some round material and cut it to length and connect with a dab of super glue. Or stamp out some rounds out of flat material. Make your own cutters to do that out of sharpened pipe or whatever you find for the sizes you need. Maybe try McMaster carr to see if they cary any kind of felt washers or material. I would think chances of finding one felt washers for that lathe would be slim.

Ya I'm sure they're not manufactured anymore lol. Appreciate the input. I will look into that felt material.

I just did a quick google search for felt gaskets and washers and a ton of stuff came up. There was even companies that will custom cut them to your specifications. That might be a good way to go since they will have the dies to cut the material cleanly. You just need to take some measurements and add a little to the size and thickness so that it seals well after it gets soaked with grease and oil.

I just did a quick google search for felt gaskets and washers and a ton of stuff came up. There was even companies that will custom cut them to your specifications. That might be a good way to go since they will have the dies to cut the material cleanly. You just need to take some measurements and add a little to the size and thickness so that it seals well after it gets soaked with grease and oil.

Ah, maybe my search was sparse because I didn't search for gaskets. Thanks!

Back