Moody lathe.... South bend clone made in canada ...

Yes, and here I am lurking with my Moody in the dock for a possible future restore...and only an hour or so away from you Ben to boot :chunky:

Here's a couple of shots of it I have saved on the computer before I moved it out of it's former home where it was a steady user. Still unsure as to it's fate...it remains a good steady user as is but I'm sure me or a future owner will be wanting to bring her back to full glory someday. For now it is content to toil away unmussed without any make-up.

Moody - 1.jpg Moody2 - 1.jpg

I don't know how many of these they sold out of La Belle Province back in the day but they sure seem to have passed the test of time. I guess when you clone a SB 9 and then make design and build improvements on top of that you end up with something pretty good.

Yes, and here I am lurking with my Moody in the dock for a possible future restore...and only an hour or so away from you Ben to boot :chunky:

Here's a couple of shots of it I have saved on the computer before I moved it out of it's former home where it was a steady user. Still unsure as to it's fate...it remains a good steady user as is but I'm sure me or a future owner will be wanting to bring her back to full glory someday. For now it is content to toil away unmussed without any make-up.

View attachment 229895 View attachment 229897

I don't know how many of these they sold out of La Belle Province back in the day but they sure seem to have passed the test of time. I guess when you clone a SB 9 and then make design and build improvements on top of that you end up with something pretty good.

Wow yours does see a lot of use! Still looks in good condition though. They really do hold up.

If you want to watch my progress on the restore I started an Instagram account. Just finished stripping the head. It's a little slow going as I have a 3yr and a 6mo old and my wife doesn't want me leaving them with her to hide in the basement lol.

The account is @vintagemachineandknifemaking

It would be nice if you ran a thread here on the restore as well. I would love to follow along and this would be a great place to share what you learn along the way. There's not many of those lathes out there and people could learn from your experiences with it.

There's a little brass plug in this last piece on the spindle.

image.jpeg

It would be nice if you ran a thread here on the restore as well. I would love to follow along and this would be a great place to share what you learn along the way. There's not many of those lathes out there and people could learn from your experiences with it.

You're right, I will continue to post progress on this thread. Maybe easier for people to understand than starting a new one.

Can anybody tell me if Southbend change gears or back gears are a direct for for this lathe?

I just picked one up but it's missing a few parts. Got it for less than scrap value so I can't complain.

I just picked one up too, I am looking for parts and information

You're right, I will continue to post progress on this thread. Maybe easier for people to understand than starting a new one.
Are you still working on your Moody lathe, I just picked one up and I think it has been butchered somewhat. I have two big issues:
The lead screw gear is wrong, from the pictures posted it seem to be a large gear that meshes with the smaller gear on the idler gear, mine has a 72 teeth gear instead which is meshing with the larger gear. Way too fast of a feed rate.
I cannot tighten the idler gear properly, there is just a bolt which means when it is tight the gear doesn’t turn. Any details on how this gear is secured to the fork would be great

I just picked up a Moody a few days ago, got it all stripped for cleaning now. Seems some people are having trouble with the spindle but mine came out pretty easy. Once I got the feed gear and preload nut off the back side I just loosened off a set screw I found on the cone pulley, put a couple punches between the bull gear and the front of the headstock so the teeth wouldn't hit the inside of the housing and dropped the end of the spindle on a piece of hardwood and it popped right out.

Back