Moore and Wright Granite inspection table

Martin W

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi, yesterday a friend texted me and said to meet him at a vacant building he is cleaning up to see if I was interested in anything. He was giving me the 10 cent tour and in one corner there is a Moore and Wright granite inspection table with the metal cabinet underneath and a gantry type mechanism on top for measuring. The granite is about 4' wide x 3' x about 8"thick. He said I could buy this cheap. I have no room to store it.
I was thinking about going back and getting it just for the surface plate? I am sorry for no pictures, as my phone was in the truck.

Is this worth saving? How much would it weigh?
Cheers
Martin

QUICK ANSWER

Granite weighs approximately 2.75 grams per cubic centimeter, which is 2,750 kilograms per cubic meter.

I think this works out to.02 lbs per cu in. 36 * 48 * 8 =13,842 cu in, * .02 =286.48 #.
OK Guys, that doesn't sound right. Someone correct me.

Yup, my math was off. Thanks.

Last edited:
Really rough. 3 ft= 1 m 4ft= 4/3 m 8 inches= 1/5 m

vol = 4/3*1*1/5= 4/15= 1/4m^3 wt= 2750/4 approx. 700 kg = 1400+ pounds

edit: not bad guesstimating

Is it worth saving?? Heck yeah that would be a 5k plate if not more. I purchased a 36x46 cast inspection table from a auction for dirt cheap 75 bucks. Has to weigh around 1500lbs and I think granite weighs more than a cast table. I would say comfortably it’s closer to 2k lbs. The beauty of the granite is you can probably leave outside with a cover? I’d do it!

Adding to the "Things I have no need of but want anyway" list. :grin:

It’s a rock, ground, good glass is better

Any "window" 4' x 3' x 8" thick will not be on a par to a "rock"

Back