More Organization

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This has been a tough project - but I've finally turned the page. Table came in a lot I won back in February. Didn't arrive until later. Got busy derusting the bare surface then adding a lower shelf right away & adding weight - so much weight that the solid rubber tires failed. Somewhere along the way my back acted up again - so surgery no 2. A friend brought the table outside, turned it over & cut the old casters off. Then my grandsons learned how to drill holes in steel & mounted the new tires (1600 pound capacity ea). Grandsons flipped the table & re-derusted the surface. Then it was just a matter of reassembling the lower shelf & erecting tool organizers. 2 rows for NMTB50 tool holders & the endcap that organizes both Van Norman 2 & Van Norman C collets. More to do - but such a milestone I had to share! Yes, back surgery complete & feeling stronger, more energized.

20211018 02.jpg

I took two days and re-arranged the garage this past weekend . Nothing left , but alot came in . One of these days I'll be somewhat organized , but at this point I don't know in what decade that will happen . :rolleyes:

Good job. I don’t know why true organization is so hard for me. I often feel like I don’t have all the pieces or vision to solve the problem so a particular mess seems to just stay until the right solution comes along. Then it’s getting to implementing it.

Part of the problem for me is I’ve spent a lot of time just trying to get something organized and it ended up being a disaster. Seems worse as I get older as it really has to make sense or i can’t find it and that’s worse then knowing what pile it used to be in.

In 2 weeks or so you'll start seeing pics of the piles that have accumulated in the basement and garage as part of my clean out process . :big grin:

I don't believe 'organization' is ever truly complete - at least not if new new tools / stock / projects / jobs are coming in. My shop is a 2 car garage that shares space with car parts & automotive equipment - so, I have to get creative with my organization. It has taken several friends to help move things around - I could only point where as it was. Let's see. Spare room cleaned up. Drafting table (3' x 6') moved from the woodshed which also has a lot of car parts. Then a 4' x 6' shelving unit full of car parts left the garage to take space in the woodshed. That made room for this workbench. All of my NMTB50 arbors & tool holders were on the garage floor, so making the rack for them on the new workbench seemed a no brainer. After that the collet rack just made sense. I saw where a guy here on this forum had the drawer space to mount a board & cut holes for a collet organizer. Very nice, simple & practical! I just don't have the space, so going vertical was my best solution - though more difficult to make. Overall a fun - though brain racking - project.

This was my 1st exposure to sine errors. I usually plan out whatever I want to make on the computer using Paint. It's not fancy, but scaling is easy with the X & Y Pixel counts. Looks like this.

CUT LINES 05s.jpg

Couldn't get those numbers to work for a layout, so I drew it on the drafting table & glued that to the board. Cut that out & was finally in business. Living is learning & where there's a will: There IS a way!

Drafting table for grins.

Img0468.JPG

If you dream it, you can make it!

In my 2car shop I’m down to filling nooks and crannies. I have an alley underneath my portable mill table that wasn’t wide enough for a parts bin until I got the solution. I picked up a really HD 3 stage slider years ago but it wasn’t long enough to fit across the mill cart but I remembered the aluminum channel that was given to me in a recent deal. It is the perfect length to support the slider so I can mount the parts bin sideway along with my ringroller and store a motor. And be able to get to each easily. I got the slider and channel mated but now need to cut a piece of old table top for the top of the slider. So close, but got production work to do first….

In my 2car shop I’m down to filling nooks and crannies. I have an alley underneath my portable mill table that wasn’t wide enough for a parts bin until I got the solution. I picked up a really HD 3 stage slider years ago but it wasn’t long enough to fit across the mill cart but I remembered the aluminum channel that was given to me in a recent deal. It is the perfect length to support the slider so I can mount the parts bin sideway along with my ringroller and store a motor. And be able to get to each easily. I got the slider and channel mated but now need to cut a piece of old table top for the top of the slider. So close, but got production work to do first….
damn it man... pics.... :einstein:

Yup, I know the rule, too much blah blah, not enough pics :) But it’s just the channel and slider in the hole right now. So I figured when I finish the final bodge I’d post pics.

I don't believe 'organization' is ever truly complete - at least not if new new tools / stock / projects / jobs are coming in. My shop is a 2 car garage that shares space with car parts & automotive equipment - so, I have to get creative with my organization. It has taken several friends to help move things around - I could only point where as it was. Let's see. Spare room cleaned up. Drafting table (3' x 6') moved from the woodshed which also has a lot of car parts. Then a 4' x 6' shelving unit full of car parts left the garage to take space in the woodshed. That made room for this workbench. All of my NMTB50 arbors & tool holders were on the garage floor, so making the rack for them on the new workbench seemed a no brainer. After that the collet rack just made sense. I saw where a guy here on this forum had the drawer space to mount a board & cut holes for a collet organizer. Very nice, simple & practical! I just don't have the space, so going vertical was my best solution - though more difficult to make. Overall a fun - though brain racking - project.

This was my 1st exposure to sine errors. I usually plan out whatever I want to make on the computer using Paint. It's not fancy, but scaling is easy with the X & Y Pixel counts. Looks like this.

View attachment 382632

Couldn't get those numbers to work for a layout, so I drew it on the drafting table & glued that to the board. Cut that out & was finally in business. Living is learning & where there's a will: There IS a way!

Drafting table for grins.

View attachment 382633

If you dream it, you can make it!
Is it just me, or is your drafting machine upside down? I have the same machine on a 38" x 72" table. I would find it difficult to work around the horizontal track and machine if it were in the same position as yours. For the record I'm left handed. I just learned to draw with the machine in the opposite orientation.

Here's a picture of my board and machine:

Attachments

• DSCF8060A.jpg
    DSCF8060A.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 22
Back