More questions about strippers and stripping ...

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to strip 96 x 12-3 SJT line cord, 420mil O.D., for a project I've got going. Doing it by hand with a blade won't work. I need something faster with no nicks.

I've tried this tool and I end up just "threading" the jacket. I just can't get it to go around concentrically.
1613699214629.png

Has anyone used one of these? Before I drop another $30 or so, I want to know it isn't a waste of money. Or is there a better tool for the job?
1613699013274.png

I have cable strippers like the one on top. Mine is a Jonard. On mine I can switch from concentric, spiral, & longitudinal cutting. Handle twists to change the blade orientation.

The Greenlee can also which is what I originally wanted but couldn't justify the cost of the Greenlee. Replacement blades are cheaper for the Jonard. The Knipex one is identical to the Jonard, just costs more. I use mine for stripping the jacket off multi conductor cables.

I have the Ideal branded one (the top one). I've tried every adjustment. Maybe it is just dull.

What click bait? Not sure what you mean. :angel: ;)

Seriously. There have to be some others on here that have experience with strippers that can provide some information.
It's tough to talk about strippers without sounding like you're talking about strippers...

Is this a one time stripping that you are doing or will you need to do this stripping often?

Could not resist.....

Keeping in line with what we do here, You could make a tool. A block with a hole that will just allow the wire to slide thru, add a clamp to hold a blade at an adjustable depth. Clamp the block to the wire and pull it to the end, the jacket should be split.

This is probably a project that will return for a second system to be built so I am thinking about making a tool, almost exactly how you described. But, if I can find an off-the-shelf one that works well, for this many cables it might be more cost effective to just buy.

I do have about 1200 #6 AWG TEW wire ends to strip as well. I am making a tool for that.

Back