More questions about strippers and stripping ...

Klien Part Nr 1550-10

The addendum is a 10, not 1 or 01

For single conductor plain wire stripper or el-cheapo crimper with the stepped stripper works.

For boat loads of wires they have hot wire units that use a heated wire to melt the jacket.

For the power cord we usually just partially cut with a sharp knife, draw a line that cuts partially through the jacket then bend it to tear it apart.

Clean and no nicks.

Do same for CAT5, CAT6 or other signal wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

@tq60 - "For the power cord we usually just partially cut with a sharp knife, draw a line that cuts partially through the jacket then bend it to tear it apart."

I do that pretty frequently with an Exacto knife. It's also the basic idea of Rick's homemade tool, which gives better control of cut depth than a knife.

I carefully lay the wire on a rock, and vigorusly beat the end of it with another rock until it's soft enough to remove with my few remaining teeth. Sometimes elegance is more important than precision. ;) Mike
Not having any teeth left, I have to use my fingernails. But, whatever is used, it works well but takes time. And if the conductors are many stranded(39) like an extension cord, the copper tends to work harden.

In the old days (before the government alphabet soup) I used my Kliens to pinch the cable where I wanted the striping to end and tore the jacket back to the end. That was "SO" type cable which has been "outlawed" I think. The more modern type that has a thread binder over the conductors, like "Carol" cable has to be done as described above, using a knife to score the jacket and then ripping it. That works for rubber (neoprene) cable.

For "hardware store" extension cords and most communication cables with a "loose" jacket like "romex", I have used the Klien 1550-10 (ten) knife. Before I acquired one, I was making my own from the screwdriver blade on a grinder. It works well where it works at all, I can strip back six feet quicker than I can tell about it. The second six feet takes a while, I have to shift my grip. And you need to be aware of the sharp edge, The spur will bite if you don't watch for it. The Klien knife is no longer made, according to their web site. But they should be still in the system. Just glad I bought three the last time.

I use both the Knipex version of the circumferential/longitudinal stripper in the first post (typically for SO cable and bigger stuff). Yeah you can thread the jacket sometimes, but it isn't too bad. Setting the blade as deep as you can gets it to track better IMO.

For small cables, this thing is the BEST

It only goes to 1/2" or something but I've used it for a whole lot more than just CAT5/6 cable they advertise it for.

Back