More tooling questions

Albindf

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good day everyone, I'm dropping in to ask the collective experts for some information on a 1980's Jet 1236PS Machinest lathe. The first question I have pertains to toolpst size. I'm looking at getting a Multifix tool post but I'm having a hard time figuring out how the correct size for the tool post. From what I have gathered I would need a size A tool post. If anyone here can help with this it would be greatly appreciated. The next question I have pertains to finding the right size/ measurements for the head unit base so that I can get a 4 and 6 jaw chuck and a collet chuck. Again any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

It will depend on who you are buying it from, there are Chinese and German versions, why not contact their tech support to get the appropriate size. With standard style tool posts, probably BXA but you need to check the measurements. But each vendor provides measurements to determine the size needed for their model. Not sure what you are asking on the chuck, you need to check mounting plate type. I assume it is a thread on so measure the thread diameter and pitch.

Any reason you don't want a standard AXA wedge type tool post? I imagine it would be cheaper and holders would be way cheaper than Multifix stuff.
Is your head stock not a standard D1-3 or 4?

Thank you guys for the replys. I liked the multifix for the versatility, and the part for the spindle i was asking about is the back plate. As to whether if it is a d1-3, or 4 I don't know. All I can find is that it is a mt5 at 2.25" with a thread pitch of 8tpi.

Most 12×36 lathes want BxA sized holders.

the Grizzly G4003 is a D1-4 spindle.
the Grizzly G4003G is a D1-5 spindle.
So they have come in both varietals.

Thanks for the response everyone. I think it would be easier for me to just show you what I have on my lathe, and then get the collective experts input. The reason I'm interested in the multifix option is for the versatility of the tool post and I think my current post and components are not sized correctly for my lathe.20200709_182919.jpg20200709_184205.jpg

Back