Mori Seiki Fanuc 6T question

Is it possible to swap the memory cards and apply the ''fix''?

Was going to call Fanuc this morning, but I'm really a do it yourselfer. That doesn't always go in my favor but today it did.
Reading the info about correcting corupted memory on turret 1's motherboard had me convinced to try it.
Works great. Alarm is then on turret 1 and can be cleared by the book method (hold delete&reset on startup).
I would think the book would make some reference to this and the 101 alarm.
I sure found a lot of threads on 101 alarms with no answers. Closest to an answer on one site was he had the Fanuc service guy
come out and fix it. Posted a thread stating that and the service guy said he changed some parameters or something. It may have been
a different Fanuc than I have.

When you start it does it require a Home command?

When turning it on anytime it requires zero return to do anything by program. Cause it doesn't have cartesian coordinates.
Or so I read. Couple of years down the road before that "became" ...it does sound nice. But I'll just have to make due with "old school".

What coordinate system does it use?
Does it not have a choice of systems such as incremental, polar or absolute (Descartes)

What coordinate system does it use?
Does it not have a choice of systems such as incremental, polar or absolute (Descartes)

Book says absolute and incremental.
Do I understand it right that absolute would show radius size of part machined and incremental would show atual part size on the readout?

Book says absolute and incremental.
Do I understand it right that absolute would show radius size of part machined and incremental would show atual part size on the readout?

Not exactly. You may however use radius or diameter, G190 is radius, 191 is diameter
Absolute is Cartesian, absolute position from 0,0 in 2 axes in this case, G90 is absolute
Incremental is a move from the current position. G91 is incremental

I always program lathes in absolute and diameter, this does not make it the "best" way just the way that I like to do it.

You could just do what I'm getting ready to do, rip the Fanuc control out and install your own. ;)

You could just do what I'm getting ready to do, rip the Fanuc control out and install your own.

I imagine when completed the old computer cabinet would look empty. Could make it into a tool box or something.
I've sure thought about doing that.
One has to wonder how long these computer boards will last. If Voyager 1 is any indication, I guess they will last a very long time. I've not had that luck with my desktops.
I had better learn to make a part first.
This 20hp is incredible to me....a little scary too!

I suspect there is going to be a pretty big pile of cables and hardware on a pallet when I'm done. :)

I'm running desktop boards in my other machines and have had really good luck with them, and the good news is that they are easy to change out if there is a problem. Normally the weak link is the power supply, but those are only about $30, and I keep a couple new ones in stock.

Hi Russ,

I know nothing about Fanuc or CNC in general....just trying to pitch in and help.

A while ago I posted about a site with various CNC manuals:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/found-a-site-for-cnc-and-other-manuals.63358/

I searched it for "Fanuc 6T" and found this:
Download PDF Fanuc 6T Maintenance Manual

PDF page 29 (of 389; or page 27 of the original manual) shows this for alarm 101:
1517941595754.png

Is that the procedure that you do NOT want to use because it would clear the 15 pages of parameters?

Good Luck!
-brino

1517941517979.png

Is that the procedure that you do NOT want to use because it would clear the 15 pages of parameters?

No.. That is the fix that is supposed to clear it. I was lucky enough to get all the books with the machine, so I had that info.
The gotcha was it wouldn't clear the "hung" memory from turret 2. Once I got my courage up and switched the memory card from motherboard 2 to motherboard 1 that cleared the problem. In the books there is info telling of motherboard 1 being the only board that could fix corrupted memory.
My understanding in reading that section is that it would lock out bad sections so they are not used making the memory card usable again although at a reduced capacity.
This is not the problem I had but putting 2+2 together I figured it would also fix my hung memory. Machine always boots up to turret 1 and attempts
to quickly switch to turret 2 when booting didn't work to clear the memory ...now knowing that board 1 is the only one that can do it that makes sense.

So I was up and running again. Made a few changes to my code... Made one single part.. Pushed the button for a second cycle and the # 1 turret released and indexed and failed to reclamp... and the machine just stopped movements (good thing).
I was thinking what did I screw up now! If I turn the machine off the turret will index to any tool you want 1 time only, and there is no clamping.
Turret 2 works normal. I thought I was going down a deep rabbit hole in electronics. Back to the book. Machine stops so it knows something is not right, but no alarm code is set.

Turret 1's hydraulic solenoid has no indicator light on. There are 2 one for clamped and one for unclamped. The two solenoids next to it have these indicator lights and they switch ends when the hydraulics switch. These lights are on the solenoids themselves under a cover next to the headstock.
The voltage is applied the ohm readings are the same as the other solenoids, so I guess I have a stuck hyd valve.
I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet.

Back