Moronic things I did with my lathe today...

I can't believe you did that Ray; I of course would never make such an error (sound of scrap box sliding under bench) :whistle:

Don't feel bad, I just cut a bushing 3 thou too much in ID. Fortunately not a lot of time invested in the piece but, wanted to finish it tonight. I have no idea how I screwed it up. I either started from the wrong offset or, I bumped the crossfeed dial with my midsection...

Ray

Ray,

All I can say is I am usually pretty tight lipped if I mess up! Been about 2 weeks ago I was running the line boring bar, at work, was a pretty small bore, where we were boring it out, and pushing hardened bushings into it, so I rough cut one side to within maybe .010 under, and I thought I would get a jump on things at the end of the day! I was rough cutting with hss cutter, and it was hot in the shop and I was tired by the end of the shift! When I got home I thought about it, and I had flipped the measurement, and I was actually, .010 over the bushing size! After 20+ Year's being there I have all the alarm codes, to get into the plant! So I told my GF Debbie what I thought I did, and we went down early Saturday, and did some welding and some minor boring and the problem was fixed, I did tell my foreman about it just so I was in the clear on things! So RAY don't feel too bad!

Bob in Oregon

Ok so I was working on a demolition job welding a shear attachment on a big excavator I got in the cab to move it into a better position to finish the weld I leaned forward and hit the boom down lever with my chest it punched the ground like king kong on crystal meth. Ooops did anybody see that? No. Good! except 50 ft of welding lead was coiled underneath it cut in four places :panic:.

Forman just said "finish welding the @#$%^&* shear! We need it back on the pile". (Oct, 2011 WTC). I always walk wide around excavators.

Bob

Ouch... but look at the bright side, at least it was just the cables an not the whole welding unit.

Ray

Ok so I was working on a demolition job welding a shear attachment on a big excavator I got in the cab to move it into a better position to finish the weld I leaned forward and hit the boom down lever with my chest it punched the ground like king kong on crystal meth. Ooops did anybody see that? No. Good! except 50 ft of welding lead was coiled underneath it cut in four places :panic:.

Forman just said "finish welding the @#$%^&* shear! We need it back on the pile". (Oct, 2011 WTC). I always walk wide around excavators.

Bob

- - - Updated - - -

I make plenty of little errors mostly when I'm looking for a certain diameter and surface finish. Sometimes you don't call it right and the diameter is right on but not quite the finish you were hoping for. Sometimes the diameter is a little big but the finsish is nice and taking off the extra diameter causes the finish to be undesirable. I always check and double check before making a cut and don't often blow it completely like I did this time. And the real head scratcher is that I have no idea what went wrong...

I have made a few good blunders that were actually funny... like milling a part backward. I accidentally made the mirror image because orientation changed when I flipped the piece over. I made that mistake twice -hopefully never again.

Lately I've been working on being more precise and gradually trying to pick-up my speed at doing things. -Takes practice...

Ray

Ray,

All I can say is I am usually pretty tight lipped if I mess up! Been about 2 weeks ago I was running the line boring bar, at work, was a pretty small bore, where we were boring it out, and pushing hardened bushings into it, so I rough cut one side to within maybe .010 under, and I thought I would get a jump on things at the end of the day! I was rough cutting with hss cutter, and it was hot in the shop and I was tired by the end of the shift! When I got home I thought about it, and I had flipped the measurement, and I was actually, .010 over the bushing size! After 20+ Year's being there I have all the alarm codes, to get into the plant! So I told my GF Debbie what I thought I did, and we went down early Saturday, and did some welding and some minor boring and the problem was fixed, I did tell my foreman about it just so I was in the clear on things! So RAY don't feel too bad!

Bob in Oregon

I messed up the milling the slots on my spider plate for my lathe. I ended up sawing the slots out so I can use it. Boy I’m not happy. I did make a video just to let people know I make mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back