Moronic things I did with my lathe today...

So it's not just Me, there is more than one of us out there.
Nice to know----- Thank you.

Perhaps we can form a club---
Brian.

I'm not sure that would be safe. The world may want to keeps as all as far away from each other as possible. :biggrin: :lmao::lmao:

-Ron

Uh... I thought this _WAS_ the club...

If you are looking for thing shims, I have had good luck with heavy duty aluminum foil. Thinner than alum cans, and readily available.

Just when you're sure that you thought things through... I have a nice heavy craftsman table saw that I decided just had to have some mobility so I mounted a set of wheels on to the legs just off the ground so I could lift up one side and roll it around like a wheel barrow. I was so proud of myself until I went to put it in its designated parking space and realized for it to fit with the table extentions where I wanted them that I had mounted the wheels on the wrong side. not a lathe story but still about use of space...

the Wall....is why I decided to move things around, and put the lathe out in the open.. ;) even though some inconvenience in other ways, its nice to know I can get to the motor, etc.
you should put your lathe on leveling bolts. :)

in keeping with the topic, my moronic thing today was while turning, just eyeballing, saying "it's still large enough not to worry".....yea....not a calibrated eyeball... i'm going to just make do...

this is turning into "americas funniest machinist"
;)
steve

Last night my parting tool stuck, seized the lathe and deformed my spacer. I just turned off the lights and went to the house. I feel your pain.

OK mine was cutting a 3/8 by 18 thread. Threads looks beautiful. I cut them lefthanded.

Just a thought. Can you install an adjustable idler pulley on the top or bottom side of the belt to take up the tension?
Might be easier than cutting into the wall.

OK mine was cutting a 3/8 by 18 thread. Threads looks beautiful. I cut them lefthanded.
/
Been there, done that....it was for a 5/8-18 thread for a drill chuck. I couldn't find a shaft anywhere for this beautifull 0-1/2" jacobs chuch that had been sitting in my drawer for years. It was my first time threading on my south bend 9 , the kind that you have to pick the gears and install the right pair in the gear box. I wa so proud of myself ....I figured out which gears to use and how to stop the lathe without disengaging the lead screw so as not to lose my place. The threads came out perfect...I was so happy. And then I went to thread it on the chuck....WTF. I must say it was good practice though. The second time around went smooth as silk. :)

And then there was the time I had to wrap 25 foot welding wire with shielding tape. I chucked up the wire in the lathe, put the lathe in real slow back gears and commenced to wrap shielding tape as the wire spun. Saved a lot of time but I don't think it was the safest way to do it. ;).

Back