Moronic things I did with my lathe today...

Bought a three tier crapsman rollaway, set it up without the casters on it. Wanted it so if someone broke in they would have to work at it to get it out of the garage if they wanted it that bad. All three boxes are bolted together, too. took the bottom drawer out, filled the base with pieces of steel plate, roughtly 200 lbs worth. Put the drawer back in. Started putting stuff in the lower drawers and middle box. Went to open the upper chest, the lid comes open about half way!!! OH S@#t!! It won't move, even trying to use a two weeler, it won't move! It's next to my 9" SBL on one side and another rollaway on the other that won't move neither. That was 7 years ago. To this day, I prop the lid open.:eek:

OK mine was cutting a 3/8 by 18 thread. Threads looks beautiful. I cut them lefthanded.

Ok so now all you have to do is make a L/H nut to suit. Problem sorted.

Cheers Phil

A nut wouldn't help. It was to screw into another part I had already threaded.

I feel for you Ron, Been there done it got the t shirt on occasions, Once marked out a fairly complex item, Checked my appropriate drills, Then drilled all the small dia holes with the large drill &all the big dia holes with the small drill, Pays to scribe next to the holes a "B" or "S" in some cases or just do not go into auto pilot, & pay attention &think what one is doing

Another time a buddy of mine & myself went to a machine auction, We wanted some nice equipment, & started bidding, In the excitement of the auction, we ended up bidding against each other! Everybody could not believe it, Real Laurel & Hardy vintage sketch "Another fine mess you got me into !"

I was trying to make one part fit on another part with very little clearance, but enough to let them rotate. I started to creep up on the finished size at .020 increments. The last cut needed .010" to put me at where I needed to be. I twisted the cross slide out the .010" and made my bore too big! I forgot that the cross slide doubles your cut diameter. I now have a sloppy fit to remind me to PAY ATTENTION.

Not all lathes, jp. But if you get used to using a 1" dial indicator to measure your tool movement, which isn't a bad idea on a questionable leadscrew lathe, it's always "Per-Side" so you will get used to it. It's an aid to accuracy to do that anyway. On any old lathe without a DRO, that's always been my crutch.

Ahh this post has made me feel so much better about myself,, !!

Thanks..

There is one advantage to getting older and having your memory start to go, not being able to remember all of the moronic things I've done on my lathe. I can't wait to get a bench top mill so I can double the moronic things I can't remember.

So it's not just Me, there is more than one of us out there.
Nice to know----- Thank you.

Perhaps we can form a club---
Brian.

After we form a club could you beat me over the head with it.

Don't feel bad, I just cut a bushing 3 thou too much in ID. Fortunately not a lot of time invested in the piece but, wanted to finish it tonight. I have no idea how I screwed it up. I either started from the wrong offset or, I bumped the crossfeed dial with my midsection...

Ray

Back