Morse taper #3 to #4 adapter

If the following listing's price is somewhat close to "reality", then I certainly got a great deal. The bits in this listing look like junk:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-M...ill-Bits-Various-1-11-32-1-47-64/272797331834

s-l1600.jpg

one option would be to turn the #4 mt down to a #3mt with some filing with bluing you can get a good fit to your tailstock, but you could still have an overload condition on your tailstock. where I once worked you could check out many size drill bits with different size tapers. you will have to rework the tang also. some of the larger size drill bits have a center in the tang to help you set up the drill in a lathe. bill

Noam, you are correct, you can only sharpen the tip of a twist drill. If the lands are worn, then just grinding the cutting edges does not help - the cut hole will be too small for the drill. When using a drill with worn lands, you make lots of heat, it makes a mess.

Of the lands are worn, it is most likely just near the tip ( from the PO tring to get away with just a tip grind). There is an easy solution, just cut the drill bit back about a 1/2" and repoint it. I use an abrasive disk to cut the bit, making a sort of point to reduce the amount of grinding. I find large bits are easier to grind than smaller ones - you can see what you are doing.

I've come across the sleeves to use lager drills in small morse taper, i've got couple myself but very rarely use them as my lathe has MT5 on the tail stok and MT6 in the spindle. Also from past experience, you can't break lot of stuff with using them, worst case you'll break the end tab off the sleeve and have to use a magnet to fish it out.
DSC_0275.JPGDSC_0281.JPG

Wow in that link you provided, this one is at much lower price:
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00186437

As I said, you can get a Chinesium one for about half-price. Interstate is MSC's import brand. Some of it is relabelled MHC items, which I've had decent luck with. Other stuff is totally anonymous, which I suppose is their right under the 5th Amendment.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hi Nnam,

I wouldn't even consider using a Morse taper adapter like that ! I've turned the Morse tapers off to make drills into "Blacksmith" style with 1/2" shanks before now.

Seems like Nnam has his solution, with the CXA-MT4 holder ($36 from Shars). That is about the same price as the #3mMT - #4fMT and I agree I would not run something like that in the tailstock. Baron's solution is fine, but I'd go with a CXA-Type 4 or Type 41. They are pinch style BB holders for 1" or 1-1/4" rounds respectively. But to go with the turned down shank, then the won't work in the previously mentioned 20" drill press, having a MT4 taper. Granted the Type 4/41 would have other uses.

Nnam, what is your final decision?

Hi Guys,

Yes I agree with chipper ! The CXA holder would be the way to go if you didn't want to turn off the taper.

I was looking at my drills this morning and trying to locate my biggest drill ! It seems that 1" is the biggest. The taper has been turned off. Woe is me, it is too long to fit in my drill press without taking the X-Y table off. Even then I might not be able to get my workpiece and vise under it.

Last edited:
Seems like Nnam has his solution, with the CXA-MT4 holder ($36 from Shars). That is about the same price as the #3mMT - #4fMT and I agree I would not run something like that in the tailstock. Baron's solution is fine, but I'd go with a CXA-Type 4 or Type 41. They are pinch style BB holders for 1" or 1-1/4" rounds respectively. But to go with the turned down shank, then the won't work in the previously mentioned 20" drill press, having a MT4 taper. Granted the Type 4/41 would have other uses.

Nnam, what is your final decision?

I am going to go with the CXA holder route. Do you have a link for that $36? Hopefully the shipping is not too much. I can only find more expensive items.

The one link that has lower price is this, but I am worry this site is a scam web site:

http://www.cbsvosale.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3336

I am think with the CXA, I can later use the MT4 chuck on it to hold relatively large round shank bits (that are not MT4).

Back