Morse taper #3 to #4 adapter

Hi Nnam,

I'm inclined to agree with you, I've not been able to find any reference as to who owns the company or where abouts they hide.
There is little or no information about .top and trying to search it gets blocked. The web site blurb says they are a clothing company !!!!

I am going to go with the CXA holder route. Do you have a link for that $36? Hopefully the shipping is not too much. I can only find more expensive items.

The one link that has lower price is this, but I am worry this site is a scam web site:

http://www.cbsvosale.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3336

I am think with the CXA, I can later use the MT4 chuck on it to hold relatively large round shank bits (that are not MT4).

It is a #53, on page 119 of the Shars catalog. http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...ders/morse-taper-holder-5-and-53-type-353-cxa

Most of the round shank bits are set up with a 1/2" shank. With a larger bit, that is difficult to hold (grind 3 flats on it) - a bigger chuck will be stronger, but it generally hangs out further too (just being bigger does not necessarily make it a better setup). If you have a dedicated boring bar holder (such as a type 4 or 41) then size it for that - strong and compact. If you only have square holders, then make yourself a square holder/split bushing for your largest tool holder - I think you can get CXAs up to 1-1/4" opening - and bore it for a decent size round shank. Drill shanks are not hardened - you can trim it to whatever size works for your equipment.

It is a #53, on page 119 of the Shars catalog. http://www.shars.com/products/toolh...ders/morse-taper-holder-5-and-53-type-353-cxa

Most of the round shank bits are set up with a 1/2" shank. With a larger bit, that is difficult to hold (grind 3 flats on it) - a bigger chuck will be stronger, but it generally hangs out further too (just being bigger does not necessarily make it a better setup). If you have a dedicated boring bar holder (such as a type 4 or 41) then size it for that - strong and compact. If you only have square holders, then make yourself a square holder/split bushing for your largest tool holder - I think you can get CXAs up to 1-1/4" opening - and bore it for a decent size round shank. Drill shanks are not hardened - you can trim it to whatever size works for your equipment.

Thanks for the tips. Somehow I thought #54 is the only good option. There are more #53 and also better price.

I ended up bought a set of cxa tool holder, knurling, mt4, 250-302xl kit (all 1" size)

I had to make a base and bolt for the tool holder because the provided one is too big to fit the lathe.

Going to cxa-xl is just amazing. I lucked out with my previous used lot purchase including mt4 drills above, which happened to have many carbide 1" bit holders. They are super rigid. I didn't pay attention to them, since I didn't have a tool holder that big. Wow, I love them.

I recently bought 3 more cxa 250-302 xl from Walmart (cheapest price I found for the same items). Added with $25 off for signing up a credit card (have to spend > 25%), it was a good deal. Free shipping, beat all others total price.

Here is a link in case someone wants it:

WALMART????!!!!!!???? I'd NEVER expected to see actual tooling offered by Walmart. But there it is! Just for fun, I searched on "BXA tool post". Lo and behold! Looks like they're acting as "middle men" for All Industrial. Who'da ever thunk?

WALMART????!!!!!!???? I'd NEVER expected to see actual tooling offered by Walmart. But there it is! Just for fun, I searched on "BXA tool post". Lo and behold! Looks like they're acting as "middle men" for All Industrial. Who'da ever thunk?

So many retailers do this now, Sears/Kmart, Staples, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, CVS & many more! I find it so annoying when searching a retailers website for something, easy enough to filter out the 3rd party items but still.

I have some #3 Morse taper bits that were turned to a cylinder in the bottom inch or so. Apparently they
wanted to put them in a Jacobs type chuck or something. They still work as Morse taper too. I did add
a tang to one of them because of the reduced area of the MT taper. It's not something I would do or
recommend. Anyway, they are still usable bits.

Back