Morse Taper Adaptors

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Need to purchase some Morse taper adaptors for my drill press. See hardened and soft ones listed. Why would you not go hardened? Or are soft with a hardened tang beter for some reason?
#4 OD to 3,2 and 1 ID for a radial drill press if it maters.
Pretty sure the #5 sleeves for the lathe are hardened.

Thanks
Greg

Not relevant, but funny.
In my shop, I don't think it would matter because *someone* would epoxy the drill chuck into the drill press again as a part of some sick joke...

Not relevant, but funny.
In my shop, I don't think it would matter because *someone* would epoxy the drill chuck into the drill press again as a part of some sick joke...
WHAT???

If you take care of your tooling, keeping the tool shanks clean when installing in the sleeves, the soft sleeves should give you years of life before having to toss them. I have harden one's too. Will say, the harden ones are much nicer and will last for ever! Keep in mind, if your DP spindle is soft, may not want to use harden sleeves, as this could mess up a good spindle if you get a drill hung up while drilling.

Anybody with spent tubes of Epoxy in their tool box would be considered imminent firing unless proven innocent in my shop! If the drill chuck is falling out, need to find out why it's happening and fix the problem properly. We had a old Avey drill press with a No. 3 MT socket that was worn beyond belief. It was worn big at the face and normal at the tan end. It was hard to keep a chuck or large drill bit in place. You never knew when it would let go. And runout was always an issue. It got us by until something better came along.

The problem is that I think it was my employer...

Thanks, will check the spindle and see if its hardened. Its a small Arboga radial arm press.

Greg

Just to chime in something, I used a soft (with hard tang) MT5 to MT3 sleeve to make a MT5 to R8 adapter. After cutting off the tang I stuck it in the lathe (sorry no epoxy) and bored the MT3 inside taper to an R8 taper.
Works well and was good fun to do.

Back