• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

Morse taper repair/refresh

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

oldmachinegary

Iron
Registered Member
I've got a used second operations lathe with a worn Morse 2 taper in the tail stock. Has anyone ever had one of these re-ground? It doesn't hold a chuck very securely so I wanted to get it repaired.
Thank you.
Old Machine Gary

Alphonse

Steel
Registered Member
I've got a used second operations lathe with a worn Morse 2 taper in the tail stock. Has anyone ever had one of these re-ground? It doesn't hold a chuck very securely so I wanted to get it repaired.
Thank you.
Old Machine Gary
The Morse taper bore of the tailstock can often be re-dressed, or reamed with a Morse taper reamer [a #2 MT in your case.] They are quite pricey new, but can be found on Ebay and such in a good used one. Just a slight hand reaming may all that is needed to seat the tool shank to hold fully.

oldmachinegary

Iron
Registered Member
Hi Alphonse;
Thank you for your reply and I apologize for my late response - I was out of town on business and didn't check the site.
I appreciate the options and will look into those.
Thanks again.
Old Machine Gary

[6]
[5] [7]