Morse taper

hss cutter

Registered
Registered
has anyone used the taper attachment to do a number 2 and a number three taper I have the figure but my math sucks so bad I cant figure out the number I need to set set taper attachment to achieve this thanks.

It's not that hard. You would set the taper attachment at 1.4307 degrees for a #2 taper and 1.4377 degrees for a #3 taper to begin.
Start with a piece of metal a little longer than you will need. That way you can machine and measure, then make a slight adjustment
to the taper and machine again. The extra length will give you the extra material you need for a few test cuts. You can always
cut off any excess when you are done. You can test fit in a female taper using some Dykem when you get close. A file is handy
to take a little off the high areas and setting a flat stone on all the taper while rotating will show the high spots that wear off the Dykem.
It is somewhat of a trial and error thing as a lathe will get it close but one has to fine tune a bit to get it close to perfect.

I used the information on "Little Machine Shop" to find the angle to set the taper. Also there is other helpful information
on the site to help you get the job done like taper per inch, length of taper, total length etc. It's very handy to have enough information.

Last edited:
Last year i made a taper attachment for my wonderful Atlas 618 semi-precision lathe. Although i can turn tapers up-to 7 deg. i mainly wanted it for turning morse 1 & 2 tapers. What i do is put a indicator on the bed to measure 1" of travel and a .0005 test indicator on the tool post to measure the taper angle. A morse #2 is .04995 Taper per INCH included angle so when your test indicator reads .02497 ( i round it too .025 ) over 1" of carriage travel your good to go. A little tweaking with sand paper is all that's needed for a perfect fit. All of the above is done with your stock chucked and with a tail-stock center and with your test indicator tip on dead center of the stock.

Back