Mosin Rehab Project 2015

Nice job , I had three mosins and gave them away. My daughter has an original early model , the others were sportorised probably in the sixties my nephews received those. Oh well I've got other projects .

The Mosin receiver is pretty soft for a military rifle but given the circumstances of the time (needing millions of them quickly) they are still holding up well 70+ years later. This receiver measured Rc32~34 in several placed before I started so my choice of material was easy, I used hot rolled steel for ease of machining and weldability. The bridge doesn't get any strain or pressure, it's just a vertical spacer for the pic rail. Lots of grade 8 bolts have been used for bolt handles on many surplus rifles, I just made my own.

This is still one of my favorite shooters. It's a bit heavy but superbly accurate with handloads. I got an Arisaka receiver in a box of parts a while back, I've been thinking of building it back up in 54r as well just to have 3 oddball rifles.

That was a much faster reply than I expected! Thank you!! I'll go ahead and grab some hot rolled steel and a bolt then! No idea how I'm going to bend the bolt yet though! Hahaha

You think I could just hammer the bolt in a vise? Would grade 8 bend well enough at 5/16ths?

You can clamp the handle to various sizes of round/square stock in a vise and use a torch to heat the bolt red hot and bend it any which way you want without damaging anything. 5/16" seems kind of "slim" to me.

Back