Mosin Rehab Project 2015

Franko took the words right out of my mouth. Isn't it neat when someone thinks outside of the box so to speak? I am just coming to appreciate the Mosin Nagants. Purchased my first one in 1964 complete with bayonet when I was 14 years old for $9.95 + tax. Still have it but it suffered from poor cleaning practices after shooting tons of cheap surplus ammo. Three five round stripper clips for $1.25. With the help of a gunsmith, I gave it a 1960's sporterizing job and after everything had $32.00 invested.
Now I am coming to find they can be a pretty accurate rifle if treated right. My M91 Sniper and SAKO Fin both do well for themselves. Along that vein, how does your new rifle shoot? Can you post a couple targets?
Very nice job, I am impressed.
Now bead blast all the silver stuff and dura or cera coat them olive-green and you will have a real prize winner.

I spent yesterday morning (I work nights) filing and sanding the receiver section to remove all the tool marks then gave it a run through the blaster for a glass bead shower and this morning I made a knob for the bolt handle.

DSCF7147_zpsfz1puwnq.jpg

DSCF7150_zpsjwizmejx.jpg

I've not fired this rifle yet, I still need to get the action bedded before that will happen.

I'm having a tough time deciding on a finish for this one. I'll be Parkerizing all the steel of course and I was originally going to shoot the aluminum with Duracoat dark earth but I'm having trouble making up my mind. Maybe it'll come to me later, after I've shot it.

Very nice! Looks like a great fun project! Can't wait to see it finished!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like somthing I want to try!

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Another fine project !!! Have you tried the cone shaped break before ?

Another fine project !!! Have you tried the cone shaped break before ?

I've tried about a dozen variations of linear comps with cone inserts, this is the first open sided comp with a cone for me. I'm sure it will be obnoxious, hopefully it will have some positive braking effect. I have a couple slow motion videos on youtube showing the effects of various designs and so far none has worked better than a variation of a standard Romanian PSL brake. Maybe I'll get lucky and this one will sound like a trumpet!

That is one beautiful and exotic looking rifle---and you are a very talented and imaginative craftsman. Even if it doesn't shoot well,Something that looks that nice and interesting can and should be displayed on the wall for all to see. It is truly a work of art!
I hesitate to ask, but have you considered modifying and selling these, and, if so, what would be the price range?
olcop

Back