Most acceptable way to lift lathe onto workbench

Mine was completely disassembled and put back together on the bench once. Another time I lifted the bed with headstock by myself. I will not do that again. Although I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it now even if I was still dumb enough to try. Another time, me and two teenage boys lifted it. Get boys that are used to actual work. "Light duty" boys aren't much help. Although if you force it on them often enough, they'll get better. It takes persistence. Lol. Anyways, another time, my brother in law helped me carry it up some cellar stairs. And ever since then, it's been slid around from bench to bench by me, one side at a time. With any luck, it'll stay put until the estate auction, which I'm hoping is many, many years from now. All that said...I vote engine hoist. Borrow or rent. Everyone wants to buy one, which means there's plenty to borrow. Then it goes away when you're done with it.

Mine was completely disassembled and put back together on the bench once. Another time I lifted the bed with headstock by myself. I will not do that again. Although I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it now even if I was still dumb enough to try. Another time, me and two teenage boys lifted it. Get boys that are used to actual work. "Light duty" boys aren't much help. Although if you force it on them often enough, they'll get better. It takes persistence. Lol. Anyways, another time, my brother in law helped me carry it up some cellar stairs. And ever since then, it's been slid around from bench to bench by me, one side at a time. With any luck, it'll stay put until the estate auction, which I'm hoping is many, many years from now. All that said...I vote engine hoist. Borrow or rent. Everyone wants to buy one, which means there's plenty to borrow. Then it goes away when you're done with it.
"Light duty boys" hahaha

I use a cherry picker to move almost everything heavy.

Attachments

• 20210802_144044.jpg
    20210802_144044.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210809_175934.jpg
    20210809_175934.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
You call yourself a hobby machinist?
You don't have chickens or watermelons......
Wow, I must be one of the lucky few with a fully equipped shop.
By the way, those aren't chickens , those are organic insect repellent!

I stripped the lathe down to just the bed and headstock. At that point I was able to move it myself just sliding and lifting one end at a time. The motor and motor support casting are heavy. If nothing else, take them and the tailstock off.

Back