Most acceptable way to lift lathe onto workbench

I have rebuilt 3 of these lathes and have dismantled 4 in total. The headstock is an interference fit as has been stated above. If you are concerned with accuracy being negatively affected, don’t be. Cleaning the lathe, bed, headstock, tail stock etc will likely improve it’s accuracy; unless of course you are un-crating a brand new Atlas (lol). Besides, understanding how your lathe goes together is never a bad idea; at least it shouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For my first lathe I bought a cheap 1 ton chain hoist from harbor freight (about $40 on sale with a coupon). Hung it near the front of the garage door. Lifted the lathe with it and then lowered the lathe onto cart/table with wheels that was about the same height as my work bench. It was easy at that point to roll the table next to the work bench and slide it off onto it. Did it alone and it was pretty easy.

HF shop crane. I keep finding more uses for it.

I concur. I have one of the folding models and it's not like I use it everyday. But working by yourself safely it's the only way to fly IMHO. I also broke down and got the 1,000lb lift cart and one ton chain hoist. Worth every penny and my back thanks me.

I'm going to be lifting a Craftsman 12 101.07402 soon, and I've been thinking of building essentially a 6 foot tall saw horse to do it, in conjunction with a Harbor Freight come-along cable pull to do the lifting.

The craftsman lathes aren't that heavy. When I had to move my 12x36 onto its bench I took the tailstock, cross slide and the motor off. And all of the covers. Left the headstock on the bed. Lifted one end onto the bench and then the other end. Was working by myself. Like Robert said piece of cake for two guys to lift a it onto a bench.

Caution: The 12" machines with the 1/2" beds are a bit heavier than the 3/8" bed machines. Don't attempt to move a complete one by yourself unless you have a good engine hoist.

Folding engine hoist is indispensable.

The most important thing with moving any machine is to remember to move it with your brain, not your muscles....

John

Caution: The 12" machines with the 1/2" beds are a bit heavier than the 3/8" bed machines. Don't attempt to move a complete one by yourself unless you have a good engine hoist.
When I bought it, the seller and I were able to muscle it off the bench and onto a dolly, and then through the garage. (And between his Ferrari and Lamborghini. I'm glad he was "driving" the dolly and that we didn't have to carry the lathe between the cars. Body damage to those things would have cost me a lot more than $300.)

That was with the tailstock, motor, and countershaft removed, but not the saddle. So it's theoretically movable by two people, but definitely not fun to do so.

I figure a saw horse ought to be able to support the weight, as long as the horizontal board between the two leg brackets is strong enough and not too long. Maybe use a 4x4 for that instead of a 2x4.

I have moved my Atlas 12" both ways by myself. Pick it up one end at a time and cuss a whole lot (30 years ago or so when I was a lot younger). Used a cherry picker (engine hoist) and strap the motor up really well so it doesn't shift then balance and move the tail end (with the tail stock removed) with one hand while jacking the cherry picker with the other.

I always made sure not to put the strap around the lead screw for fear of bending it.

Is your new work bench mobile? I.e. does it have wheels under it? If so lifting the lathe with a chain hoist and moving the table underneath it might be easier.

Back