Most common drill bits to use for the most common taps?

I think I will go to HF and inspect them 1st after this set I got blind..lol

I couldn't believe how bad of a finish and dull plus plating issues too.

So a good set of HF cobalt drill bits vs titanium bits should be good?

That's been my experience. In fact I have a 20% off coupon and I'm going to go buy another set to add to my collection. I usually buy a couple sets per year, just to keep my stock up. I quit buying the TiN coated ones, the quality is not as good as the cobalt.

That's been my experience. In fact I have a 20% off coupon and I'm going to go buy another set to add to my collection. I usually buy a couple sets per year, just to keep my stock up. I quit buying the TiN coated ones, the quality is not as good as the cobalt.

I said that a bit tongue in cheek because it sounds funny to me at least to say that someone should just have gone out a bought a quality set AND bought that at hf. The cobalt set is supposed to be good though.

I purchased my set of HF cobalt's about 6 years ago. Hopefully they have not changed suppliers. I open the set in the store and looked at all the bits as though I was doing a QC check. They looked very good. They are 135° split point. They have far surpassed what I expected. The cobalt set is the only one I would purchase from HF. The other sets look awful to me. I have precision twist drill, Cleveland and other sets but the HF cobalt's are my go to. When a bit breaks I replace it with a decent brand. I've replaced 2 bits in 6 years. 1 was my fault for getting the bit cocked and bent(#50 bit in a hand drill) and the other my son broke drilling out a small hole in diamond plate. I watched him and told him he was putting a side load on the bit and just then it snapped (1/2" bit). He tends to break things like breaker bars, pipe wrenches and any tool that isn't an anvil. That bit I had used to drill out cast steel lower control arms for his friends 3/4 ton 4x4 and the bit cut them like butter. Not trying to say that HF drills are the best, just that the cobalt 115 piece set is a great buy with a coupon.

Roy

Another thing I seen a is estate sales. A lot of older folks have assorted drills, sometimes you can get them cheep but more than likely you’ll need to sharpen them.

I have an odd collection that someday I finish sharpening and sorting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't believe I messed up. I am replacing my compound slide with a thick block of steel. I bought some M6-1.- from Home Depot as fasteners.

I used 6mm drill bits to drill 6 holes through the cross slide and the 1.5 inch block.

I'll go up to M7-1.0

Hi Guys,

An easy mistake to make ! I've done it myself on more than one occasion. Nowadays I have a big A1 chart hanging on the wall, :D

As others have said, redrill for M8 X 1.25.

If you are really desperate to use M6, then get some thread inserts.

Not adding anything new here, but I keep my taps in plastic storage bins and have the recommended drill bit size in the same bin. If it needs a tighter or looser fit, I look at the drill chart and go up/down a size accordingly.

Tubalcain has a nice organizer idea with the typical tap drill, clearance drill and tap in a block. Just make sure you grab the tap drill and not the clearance drill.

I've had very good luck with the HF cobalt drills mentioned above, have sets of those at each lathe. Naturally, a lot depends on your projects. If you're going to do a boatload of 3/8"-16 holes, buy some good 5/16" drill bits (tap drill for 3/8"-16). It's frustrating pulling down hard on the quill handle without seeing any chips.

Bruce

Tubalcain has a nice organizer idea with the typical tap drill, clearance drill and tap in a block. Just make sure you grab the tap drill and not the clearance drill.
I actually followed Tubalcain,s tap/drill organizer idea and made one very similar to it, makes my life much easier , now I always know I have the right size tap and /or drill bit in my hand.

Back