Most Common Fastners for tooling

sbx

Registered
Registered
I was pondering this question, while looking up some tap information for a project I am working on. I am thinking socket head cap screws, set screws, bolts etc.

What are the most common sizes you all work with when making either tooling or projects. I do understand that the project often dictates this. But thought there may be some worthy thoughts out there.

Also any thoughts on alloys or why you buy what you do.

My guess is any old allow steel fastner would work for the most part, but am somewhat new to the fabrication side of things.

Anyway, hope for some interesting discussion.

Thanks,
sbx

i work mainly with metric stainless steel fasteners(SHCS) in my trade.
M3-M22 fines and coarse inclusive.

the older American Made machinery is SAE or USS threads
common sizes and threads are these on the stuff i see:
fine thread 6-32,8-32,10-32,1/4-28,5/16-24,3/8-24,7/16-20
coarse 10-24,12-24,1/4-20,5/16-18,3/8-16,7/16-14.
there is bigger and smaller fasteners, but they are not as common on most machinery.

i love Caterpillar bolts of any size- they are high quality fasteners- grade 10 for even the valve cover bolts if i'm not mistaken

the stainless steel fasteners i encounter (mostly DIN912 SHCS) on the European machinery is all very good quality as well.

alloy steel fasteners are generally good for most assemblies where there isn't a lot of corrosion or exposure to chemicals or water.

Last edited:
I guess some of your answer would be. You will see more SAE cap/button/flat head screws in a machine shop than anything else. Or maybe I should have said fasteners that take an Allen wench? And are typically grade 8?..Good Luck, Dave.

I guess some of your answer would be. You will see more SAE cap/button/flat head screws in a machine shop than anything else. Or maybe I should have said fasteners that take an Allen wench? And are typically grade 8?..Good Luck, Dave.
SAE Society of Automotive Engineers, this is where the standards were written for SAE fasteners (grade 9-8-7-5-3-1 ect.) Which are sold in hardware stores nationwide.

The ASTM has their own "grading standards" for use when building steel structures, the SAE won the race for consumer acceptance.

Probably not relating to your question much but when it comes to fasteners like nuts & bolts, I prefer to use metric. I use socket head cap screws & button heads whenever I can. Odd cause when it comes to measurements I only work with US customary & when I single point I also prefer to use standard.

I was pondering this question, while looking up some tap information for a project I am working on. I am thinking socket head cap screws, set screws, bolts etc.

What are the most common sizes you all work with when making either tooling or projects. I do understand that the project often dictates this. But thought there may be some worthy thoughts out there.

Also any thoughts on alloys or why you buy what you do.

My guess is any old allow steel fastner would work for the most part, but am somewhat new to the fabrication side of things.

Anyway, hope for some interesting discussion.

Thanks,
sbx

Most shops I have worked in use socket head cap screws. If you are mounting cover-plates to boxes or maintenance openings use round head cap screws/bolts. Some thicker cover-plates flat head screws can be used.
Hex heads can be used on just about anything. Fine threads are used where vibration is a concern of bolts coming loose. Hope this helps

Back