bbaley

Registered
Registered
I have had daughters shack up with less than desirable marriage opportunities,
bounced checks at the bank,
not got hired for a job I was over qualified for,
missed a target at 50 yards,
forgot to put coffee pot under coffee maker,

but nothing I can think of right now is worse than breaking off a 6-32 tap in a project piece that is the last of 6 holes on a project that is 99% done.

man oh man.

I feel your pain. Forty years ago I was making a set of collet blocks in my machine shop class. I broke a small tap off while tapping a set-screw hole in the hex block. Never got it out, so it never got finish ground. It's still in my toolbox.

It's not a problem, just a need for a solution. I had the same problem, ordered a solid carbide ball end-mill and drilled it out. For the size you broke perhaps a 5/64. Good luck.

A 6-32 tap is the worst possible tap in the imperial system. Root diameter as a percentage of total diameter is a big difference, which gives it more chance of breaking than any other standard tap. Poor design, but a common standard size. I knew that going in, and have never broken one (so far). Just posting this has probably broken my run of luck... ;)

Carbide ball end mill , plunge thru it and plug . No sweat . I thought this thread might be about my work night tonight , I had t:)o look .

I recently tapped a few 3-56 holes, and all I could think was "well, at least it's not 6-32!"

There is a bright side. It could have been a #4-40 tap!
I Feel your pain.
Cheers
Martin

The company I worked for designed and built it's own processing and packaging machinery. One of our projects was a machine with 136 to 150 individual molds (depending on the product to be packaged) for forming plastic. Each "platter" had 12, 4-40 screws holding film guides in place. I can't tell you how happy the guy was that drew the straw to drill and tap all 1,800 of them.

W
I have had daughters shack up with less than desirable marriage opportunities,
bounced checks at the bank,
not got hired for a job I was over qualified for,
missed a target at 50 yards,
forgot to put coffee pot under coffee maker,

but nothing I can think of right now is worse than breaking off a 6-32 tap in a project piece that is the last of 6 holes on a project that is 99% done.

man oh man.
Wow that's something to scream about
:chemist::sorry::headache::***** slap:

Back