most dismal event ever

Electric Discharge Machine. It uses a stream of tiny sparks in a liquid bath to eat out the piece it contacts.

I hope you manage to get it out. One thing to think about with small taps is that when they wear the drag on then rises exponentially as edges dull.
Small taps are cheap and as some as they get worn chuck them in a separate container for use in cleaning dirty threads. I'm slowly replacing my taps as they wear out with Serial Taps wherever possible because of the extra strength and better finish. I am also of the opinion the cheap taps like cheap drill bits are very expensive.
As a broke person I often have to buy cheap to do a job but with things like drill bits and taps replace with the best you can get. Over time you end up with very good quality in all the important ones.
These are my preferred brand of taps: https://www.voelkel-shop.com/en/voelkel.html

Here's the page with 6-32. https://www.voelkel-shop.com/en/hand-taps-set-of-3-pcs-din-352-hss-g-unc.html Expensive but worth every cent. Question do you use a tapping machine or a guide block? I have nerve damage and have to be very careful when working especially with things that can break easily if flexed in use.

Thanks for the tap info!

Usually I use a Brown & Sharpe Tap follower (spring loaded)in the mill or drill press or lather - along with whatever tap handle I am using.
And that works pretty well for me.

On the small tap "T" wrenches I made some wooden handles to make them easier to hold because I have found that when I am tapping a lot, my fingers get sore, and that gets me in a hurry to get done, and well, you see the result of that :)

The wooden handles also let the use my fingers (e.g one finger and thumb on each bar of the handle) using small taps which usually feels like it keeps me from putting too much pressure on them.
Obviously this time I was either tired, in a hurry or pick an excuse.

What I really want to find are some quality tap "T" wrenches for the small taps.
either that or some small taps that have a hole in the end that allow for use of a follower.

Some of my better quality larger taps have follower holes, but none of the smallest ones (maybe that''s just the norm) so leaves me with the "T" wrench handle option until I find a better solution.

I don't have any fancy power tapping heads or anything like that. I've used the drill press to power tap thin plate steel, but that's about as adventurous as I've got along those lines.

And I use copious amounts of Tap Magic, although I don't have any of the aluminum variety yet.

I hope you manage to get it out. One thing to think about with small taps is that when they wear the drag on then rises exponentially as edges dull.
Small taps are cheap and as some as they get worn chuck them in a separate container for use in cleaning dirty threads. I'm slowly replacing my taps as they wear out with Serial Taps wherever possible because of the extra strength and better finish. I am also of the opinion the cheap taps like cheap drill bits are very expensive.
As a broke person I often have to buy cheap to do a job but with things like drill bits and taps replace with the best you can get. Over time you end up with very good quality in all the important ones.
These are my preferred brand of taps: https://www.voelkel-shop.com/en/voelkel.html

Those threading tool holders on the Volkel site look like the stuff !

Those threading tool holders on the Volkel site look like the stuff !
All I can say is that I am impressed with the quality and the difference between using a good tap and a mediocre one is very noticeable. Threading stuff is all Volkel do so I am assuming they know what they are doing. Might be worthwhile seeing if there is an agent near you. I'm on the other end of the world and the guy I buy off is on the other main Island but has good stock at very reasonable prices. If he doesn't have something he will get it in 3 days and I have also bought direct from Volkel and it has taken about 4-5 days to my door, service is excellent.

Back