[Drill] Motor cooling fan blade .

vach55

Registered
Registered
I am repairing a drill press that I purchased and I have torn down the motor and discovered that the cooling fan was cracked I tried to remove it and it broke even more . I am trying to locate a replacement. I have had no luck at all . I have attached photos of the motor plate the broken fan blade and the shaft it mounts to . The blade is 4 3/8 “ wide , the center hole is 3/4” and it’s 1/2 “ thick . Any help in locating one would be appreciated. This motor came of a Chicago Power Tools Drill Press . Thanks Dave . 8e87b4b52a28ba412efeb2650b29846b.jpgb01e98fd9db164e359b3852aa9fb5201.jpga088d9cd0701b34df28c48edb417d64a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your best bet is a motor rewind shop where they can sort one out from a scrap motor, or sell you a new universal on in a tastefully coloured plastic! crap, but they keep the motor cool!

Your best bet is a motor rewind shop where they can sort one out from a scrap motor, or sell you a new universal on in a tastefully coloured plastic! crap, but they keep the motor cool!

I tried my local shop he said the motor has no replacement parts available . Cheap Taiwan motor , just but another . The bearings are less than $20 all I need is this fan blade and that thing will run for another 30 years . 1/2 hp , 1750 , 1/2” shaft . I hate throwing this away that are useful ! I’ll keep searching. It came off somebody has one that will go back on !

If it was mine, I would cut a piece of metal round of that diameter and do some cutting and bending on it to have the same general shape
of the old one. Then I would machine up a bushing that would press press fit on the motor shaft. One could bolt on the bush to the blade
or even better yet weld or silver solder or even braze it onto the fan blade. I have replaced plastic fans this way and they work fine.

Could you get away without a fan on a drill press? I'd try running it.

Greg

If it was mine, I would cut a piece of metal round of that diameter and do some cutting and bending on it to have the same general shape
of the old one. Then I would machine up a bushing that would press press fit on the motor shaft. One could bolt on the bush to the blade
or even better yet weld or silver solder or even braze it onto the fan blade. I have replaced plastic fans this way and they work fine.

Thanks for that suggestion. I may try that . I thought if I could find a blade close I could modify and use that .

For continuous running you definitely need a fan, but on a drill press where its intermittent use you may get away without it. Don't know. When using a VFD to slow the motor the built in fan would be pretty much useless.

Greg

For continuous running you definitely need a fan, but on a drill press where its intermittent use you may get away without it. Don't know. When using a VFD to slow the motor the built in fan would be pretty much useless.

Greg

If I can’t find or make one I might just try that . It’s a strong motor the bearing was loud so I decided to take it apart and repair but when I open it up the blade was crack in a few places probably from sitting around for a long time . I really didn’t think it would be this difficult to find one .

Finding replacement parts for anything made in Asia that's more than a few years old is pretty much impossible unless the exact item is still being manufactured and/or they have a very helpful US distributor that stocks replacement parts. Not much profit margin in motor parts. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one with some tin snips and pliers and it would outlive you
Mark S.

Last edited:
Back