Motor for an older lathe

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hello, all.

I'm a brand new member, and this is my 1st post. Not even sure if I'm posting in the correct forum, so please bear with me.

I have just fallen in to an old Tauwanese lathe. It is a Kin Shin model KS3.5FK built in 1976. I.ve done a little investigating, and it seems to be identical to a Jet 1024 (foung an owner's manual on-line).

Question: The machine is in great shape, but I suspect the 110 hp motor is toast. Not even sure if it's the original. Anybody have any idea what specs I should be looking for in a substitute? Horsepower, speed, etc.?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Why do you think the motor is bad, and how have you tested and confirmed it? A few good tests are worth hundreds of our opinions based on nothing... I would see if you can get that motor running, quite possibly a capacitor if it is that old. Motor shops will fix motors much more cheaply than you might think, and way more cheaply than buying a new one. That type of motor is not too difficult to troubleshoot and fix yourself for very little cost, if the windings are good, which is easy to test.

Why do you think the motor is bad, and how have you tested and confirmed it? A few good tests are worth hundreds of our opinions based on nothing... I would see if you can get that motor running, quite possibly a capacitor if it is that old. Motor shops will fix motors much more cheaply than you might think, and way more cheaply than buying a new one. That type of motor is not too difficult to troubleshoot and fix yourself for very little cost, if the windings are good, which is easy to test.

Thanks, Bob. There certainly is a possibility that the motor is salvageable. The downside is the motor was taken off of the lathe and looks like it was stored in a blizzard. I'm not even totally certain it's the one that came with the machine (don't see a nameplate on it). Before I go to the expense of fixing it, I'm hoping to get some feedback on motor spec's for this machine. I can compare that to what I have. Thanks for your suggestion which is certainly a viable possibility.

PS: Did I post this question on the right forum?

As Bob mentioned, it may be easiest to get the existing motor fixed.

If you do need to replace the motor should have a nameplate with RPM. You mentioned a Jet lathe manual which should also state the RPM and likely the same.

If the nameplate states the Frame ID, you want to use the same Frame ID to get a motor with the same bolt holes, shaft OD and keyway dimension.

If the nameplate does not state the Frame ID, you need to measure the shaft OD and keyway dimensions.

A couple of months ago I purchased a used Grizzly G1008 mill. This unit was made in Taiwan. The motor nameplate does not state a Frame ID. It is non-standard, not a NEMA nor Chinese specification motor. It is 3/4in OD with a 5mm key.

I am considering upgrading to a 3 phase motor and VFD. I have to decide on the replacement motor. If I use NEMA Frame 56 it will be 5/8in OD. I can make a bushing for the pulley. If I use NEMA Frame 145itwill be 7/8in OD. I need to replace the step pulley with a single sheeve 7/8in pulley. Just an example of the importance of knowing these details.

Welcome to HM, TJB!

There is a sub-forum for asian machines but this is okay, too.

I don't know the right answer to your question but I think most 10X lathes have a 3/4 to 1 HP motor on them if that helps you. If you have a gear driven lathe then a 1725 rpm motor is common. In hobby circles, many opt for a 3 phase motor with a VFD that allows for variable speed from an AC motor that runs on 110v household power. If you are replacing the motor anyway (after testing as Bob suggested) then a VFD option is a good one.

If you haven't run a lathe before then you may not realize how valuable infinite speed control can be. You can use it to dial in the way the tool cuts in real time and that makes a big difference in the results you can achieve. Lots to learn about VFDs but I wanted to put the bug in your ear.

PS: Did I post this question on the right forum?
I don't know, but probably close enough. If the moderators think it should be somewhere else, they will move it, and perhaps it will get more reads and comments. Don't worry about it, all is good...

As Bob mentioned, it may be easiest to get the existing motor fixed.

If you do need to replace the motor should have a nameplate with RPM. You mentioned a Jet lathe manual which should also state the RPM and likely the same.

If the nameplate states the Frame ID, you want to use the same Frame ID to get a motor with the same bolt holes, shaft OD and keyway dimension.

If the nameplate does not state the Frame ID, you need to measure the shaft OD and keyway dimensions.

A couple of months ago I purchased a used Grizzly G1008 mill. This unit was made in Taiwan. The motor nameplate does not state a Frame ID. It is non-standard, not a NEMA nor Chinese specification motor. It is 3/4in OD with a 5mm key.

I am considering upgrading to a 3 phase motor and VFD. I have to decide on the replacement motor. If I use NEMA Frame 56 it will be 5/8in OD. I can make a bushing for the pulley. If I use NEMA Frame 145itwill be 7/8in OD. I need to replace the step pulley with a single sheeve 7/8in pulley. Just an example of the importance of knowing these details.

Like Mikey said, three phase motors and a VFD give you the option of choosing whatever speed you want, infinitely variable. OTOH, it is difficult sometimes, and especially with Asian machines, to find a motor that fits and does what you want it to. There are lots of things that all need to happen in one motor -- phase, voltage, rpm, frame size, horsepower, shaft size, keyway size, and more that makes it difficult sometimes to get the Goldilocks motor you wish for. That is why I was suggesting getting the original motor working, which I thought I knew would fit the lathe. If the motor is to the original specs for the lathe, then I would try to go that way, unless you are really a hot rod guy, who cannot stand to leave anything factory stock.

Thanks, Dave.

Unfortunately, the Jet manual is no help. It gives ZERO information on motor specs. I'm just getting over some surgery, so I haven't been able to clean the motor up or look for a nameplate. First pass, nameplate seems to be missing. That's good advice if the motor needs to be replaced. I have 3 phase supply, so the upgrade might be worth it (this is a very tight machine).

Thanks again for responding.

Welcome to HM, TJB!

There is a sub-forum for asian machines but this is okay, too.

I don't know the right answer to your question but I think most 10X lathes have a 3/4 to 1 HP motor on them if that helps you. If you have a gear driven lathe then a 1725 rpm motor is common. In hobby circles, many opt for a 3 phase motor with a VFD that allows for variable speed from an AC motor that runs on 110v household power. If you are replacing the motor anyway (after testing as Bob suggested) then a VFD option is a good one.

If you haven't run a lathe before then you may not realize how valuable infinite speed control can be. You can use it to dial in the way the tool cuts in real time and that makes a big difference in the results you can achieve. Lots to learn about VFDs but I wanted to put the bug in your ear.

Back