Motor hums, doesn't know 'Quietly"

I'll look into bearings, but I need it soon, may have to run it with wobbly bearings.
Tom,

If the problem is a bad bearing (very likely) it's a pretty simple job to replace the bearings. But, if you continue to run it as-is, you run the risk of a bearing spinning on the rotor shaft or spinning in one of the end bells. If that happens with a small motor like you have, it will likely not be economical to repair at that point. So, I would suggest you fix it as soon as possible.

Ted

No but it does mention intermittent service, so many drops over 5 years..... I'll look into bearings, but I need it soon, may have to run it with wobbly bearings.
Hey Tom,
if you get some sizes off the bearings, or some measurements-
i have lots of bearings- i could send you a couple bearings, free of charge :grin:

When I spin it by hand it is smooth as silk. no rumble at all. Flip the switch its' growling. Could there be something electrical happening?

I've got an old motor I'm going to switch in, I need to polish some stuff, the grumble/roar is distracting.

When I spin it by hand it is smooth as silk. no rumble at all. Flip the switch its' growling. Could there be something electrical happening?
I've got an old motor I'm going to switch in, I need to polish some stuff, the grumble/roar is distracting.
there could be a fault in the field windings or a short circuit between the rotor and the windings, at a guess

Wouldn't a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor be a better for this hunk of iron?

The .33 hp motor has been adequate for the turning I'm doing. mostly aluminum, the steel is generally under 3/8" diameter, I'm looking now for a replacement. I dread the idea of replacing the bearings and finding out that they were OK, that it was something else.

I have seen a couple of motors that had stator bars coming loose and causing this type of noise. It's not very common and if that is the case with your motor, it's not worth repairing.

Ted

I've jury-rigged my 1/8 hp motor to turn the lathe for a polishing job I've gotten into. Ordered an new motor, should be here next week.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I ordered a new Dayton (made in China)1/3 horse motor yesterday, it was delivered this morning, UPS. It's mounted behind the lathe, running like a champ. I only got two units polished with the old timey motor, (I figure it's pre-WWII) it worked fine, but not enough hours in the day.

Back