Motor Modification With Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Hi All,
i had a project that came into the shop.
I have fixed this type of machine many times before, a Biro BCC100 Chicken Portioning Slicer.
it's basically a 3/4 hp 56 frame 115v single phase 1750 rpm motor with a 8" stainless steel blade attached to the motor for dismembering chicken and sometimes i've seen the machine used equally well for fish.
it will literally cut a chicken into it's major parts in seconds with a skilled operator, no knife is needed- the machine is a really cool rotary knife!

The little machines Achilles' heel is that the motor specifications were incorrect for the job, in my opinion.
there is no provision for drive shaft sealing. the machine is washed down daily after production and the soaps that they use accelerate bearing decay and ultimately cause bearing failure after a year or so.
I replaced the bearings about 9 months ago in this particular machine, but this store gets a lot more volume than stores in the region and subsequently has a shorter service interval.
i felt that there should be a seal on the shaft, if for nothing else, to give a few extra months of up-time.
here's the photographic evidence...
2015-08-18.jpg
the seal pictured mid picture, left is a single lip .625" id x 1.125" od x .250" thick.
the end cap is only relieved for the driveshaft , the bore being .6875",
it will need to be punched out to 1.120" to fit the seal with a lot of interference fit.
I chucked the endcap up in the Hercus 9x22 and punched it out.
2015-08-18.jpg
the bore ended to be 1.121" id, excellent for a .004" interference fit!

the bearing size for most 56 frame motors with a 5/8" shaft is 6203zz- C3.
i replaced both front and rear bearings prior to reassembly.

2015-08-18.jpg
i inverted the seal to keep water from entering the motor.
i polished the motor shaft and lubed the seal and shaft with my favorite synthetic Mobil 1 grease and reassembled the motor.
i gave the motor and seal a quick shot of paint to minimize corrosion
2015-08-18.jpg
i reassembled the rest of the machine and gave a test..
the motor works flawlessly and now has an added layer of protection for the motor bearing nearest the drive end against overspray.
the motor's service life will be extended, for a lot longer this time :grin:

as always thanks for reading,

i hope this inspires others to make lemonade from lemons...;)

Last edited:
yes sir,
baldor does make washdown motors.
unfortunately the equipment manufacturer didn't spend the extra money to incorporate the baldor washdown motor into their product.

That's certainly a scary looking machine. I would hope that steel mesh gloves are required safety gear. I get the not so subtle feeling it'll dismember a hand just as easily as chicken.

Excellent work on the mods, and I never would have thought to reverse the seal to prevent water ingress. Makes sense, though. Curious how long it'll take the seal to wear the shaft. That looks like a tool that'll be turned on at the start of shift and off at the end.

Hi ogberi,
thanks for reading and for your kind words.

it is a very scary machine, especially when the blade is out of balance due to worn bearings :eek:
they make all kinds of horrific noises during operation.
You know, i would think the same thing about the steel mesh gloves being used-
the interesting part is that i have not seen 1 operator use safety gloves while operating these machines, i have worked on these machines for roughly 20 years.
the machine would quickly claim a finger just as it would a leg quarter- the machine is not to be played with- it means business.
I keep my hands way away from it while it's running, that's for damn sure.

Heres a video of a skilled operator at work. scares the crap out of me watching the video!
I don't know this guy or have any connection to him or the production of the video-
but he knows how to use the machine as good as any operator i have seen!

the oil seal seals on the inside of the lip, reversing the seal will have a better shot of keeping contaminants out.
i surmise the shaft will last a year or more, then i'll speedy sleeve the shaft and do it again and again until the motor fails.
i'll be modifying every BCC100 motor that comes across the bench :grin:

surprisingly,
the machines seem to be used for short periods of time ranging from 1 hour to 3 or 4 hours depending on the purveyor.

i hope that any of the ideas may be useful to you or others at some time.:tranquility:

Last edited:
Watched the video.

Hell.

No.

Let me repeat that. No. Damn. Way.

Table saws are scary. They're just waiting for an opportunity to remove an appendage. That chicken mangler..... No. Just..... Nope. You can see it *WANTS* to remove some body parts. And I doubt it'd even bog down when doing it. Nah. No way in heck I'd go anywhere near one of those things. Fix it, maybe, stand way off to one side and make sure it runs, yep. Sharpen the blade? Very carefully. But cut chicken or other meat on it? Nope. Nada. Not doing.

Back