Motor Pulley size for a Jet 1236PS

Gman45acp

Active User
Registered
6DCCA8E9-EDE9-4C86-925C-6446BB9D10EB.jpegI have this version of the jet 1236PS but don’t know what size step pulley the motor takes to go with the large pulley shown in the photo. Would like to get the correct size so the spindle speed will be what the plate shows on the lathe. I have a copy of the manual from jet but does not give the pulley size just shows a two step pulley. Hoping somebody has one like this and can give me the size.
Thanks

Looks like there is a 4 step countershaft pulley and a matching 4 step on the spindle. Measure the diameter of both the spindle pulley and countershaft pulley at one of the 4 belt positions to get the ratio. Then work backwards knowing the countershaft rpm, the large countershaft pulley diameter and the motor rpm, referencing one of the spindle speeds on the nameplate
Blocklayer is a helpful tool for this
Grizzly might have a stock two-step pulley for one of their comparable lathes, but the bore may be metric

unless you do a lot of high speed turning, a 2.25" single step pulley is sufficient, provided you have a 9.4" OD driven pulley.

the stock OEM size on my Shenwai 1236 is 2 sheave pulley,
2.25" OD on the motor and 9.4" OD on the driven pulley, for the low speed range.
i rarely, if ever, use the high speed set, but i can provide that information too if you want it :)

unless you do a lot of high speed turning, a 2.25" single step pulley is sufficient, provided you have a 9.4" OD driven pulley.

the stock OEM size on my Shenwai 1236 is 2 sheave pulley,
2.25" OD on the motor and 9.4" OD on the driven pulley, for the low speed range.
i rarely, if ever, use the high speed set, but i can provide that information too if you want it :)
Mine has a 9.5 inch pulley and the back one is the smaller one. Did not measure it but it is about 7 1/2 to 8. So if you have the larger pulleybsizei would like to know what is Incase I need higher. Probably just get a single step of each size and use the smaller one like you suggest

your set up is similar to mine.

to recap,
the drive pulley for the high speed set is 4-3/8" and the driven pulley is 8"
the drive pulley for the low speed is 2-1/4" and the driven is 9.4"

if i can be of other assistance, i'm happy to help :)

Back