[Newbie] Motor shafts not turning on cnc machine

rdbradley8

Registered
Registered
In mach 3>config>ports and pins>motor outputs, I have all the pins correct and all the wiring is correct. Components are new and have not been operated. I built a cnc machine and have the power supply, bob, etc on my kitchen table and would love to get these shafts turning before installing them on the machine, so help would be so appreciated - Randy

Could we have a picture or two of your setup? Getting power to the drives?

Hi Jim, Thank you for responding
I have pictures in my phone but for some reason or another I'm having problems downloading them. Until I solve that problem, here is some information. The green lights on the drivers are on. My equipment consists of a pc, windows 10, 64 bit, uss smoothstepper, bob, power supply, drivers, 34 nema motors and mach3. In mach 3 I have the motor output pins corresponding to the diagram on the bob. When I turn it all on. emergency stop not active, and hit the up down, side to side , pgup and down, nothing happens. When everything is on I am able to turn the motor shafts by hand. I was told to pull the wires from the "Enable" wire from the drivers, I pulled it from the x axis, still nothing, except then I could not turn the x axis shaft by hand, as though the emergency stop was on, after some time the motor did get very hot. I could put a lot more information in this note, but I don't know what you might need.
Randy

OK, pulling the wires from the Enable on the drives is correct and it sounds like it worked. Have you mapped your keyboard to control the motors. Config>System Hotkeys

I set the hot keys to the arrow and pg up pg down keys. Still no movement. I have 2 wires going from my drivers to the bob. They are dir and pul. On the drivers the wires go to dir - and pul -

Normally I would expect the Pulse & Direction wires to go to the + terminals on the drive, and a common from the BoB to go to the - terminals.

I will change the wires to the plus terminals. Could you elaborate on the "common from the bob to go to the - terminals."

You need 3 wires between the BoB and the drive. The common could be labeled COM or maybe -.

Could you share a link to the BoB or maybe the manual. Without knowing exactly what you have, I can only guess. Or even a good picture of the BoB showing the terminals.

Back