[Newbie] Motor shafts not turning on cnc machine

O.K. I think I understand . On the bob there is a common terminal, so two wires will come out of that terminal. 1 wire to pulse 1-. one wire to dir 1-.
Then, a wire from pulse + on drive to pulse on bob. A wire from dir + on drive to dir on bob.

That's it. You can just jump the two - terminals together on the drive, no need to run two seperate COM wires between the BoB and the drive.

Here is some pictures. I don't have a manual for the bob. I took the best picture I could and hopefully the diagram I drew will help. I could buy another bob if that would help.1582917694204.jpgport address (2).jpg1582917694204.jpg

Attachments

• photo bob.jpg
    photo bob.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 12
  • drawing of bob.jpg
    drawing of bob.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 13
  • xyz signals.jpg
    xyz signals.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 14
  • wiring driver.jpg
    wiring driver.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
OK, with that BoB it looks like you do need to connect the +5V to the Step + and Dir+ terminals on the drive. Then connect the Step- terminal from the BoB to the Step- terminal on the drive. Do the same with the Dir terminals on the BoB and drive.

Hi Jim, I connected the +5v on the BoB to Dir+ and bridged it to Step (Pulses)+ on driver, then connected Dir on BoB to Dir- on driver and Step on BoB to Step- on driver. pressed arrow keys and nothing
In case I'm missing something, here is what I do when I turn the unit on, maybe I'm missing something simple.
Turn on computer, there is a steady blue and red light on the smooth stepper and Steady red light on BoB > Log into Mach 3, there is a steady blue and green light and a fast blinking light on the S.S. and 2 steady red lights on the BoB > Ck reset button > Plug in power supply and drivers, green light on drivers on > press arrow and pg up and down keys, motor shafts do not turn.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what all of the lights mean on your devices. Do you have any links to any user manuals for the hardware you are using? Anything would help. I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.

From your description, it sounds like you are wired correctly and my best guess is that it may be a setup problem in Mach3 at this point. Are you showing an E-stop message on Mach3?

BTW, I am no expert in Mach3, but I have set it up a few times.

I bought this equipment from china and have not been able to get any information from them. If I have to end up buying all new components, I will. I thought I would start out with a new BoB, one that you are familiar with and drivers if need be. Whatever it takes to get this machine going. I'm really appreciative of your help. When I open Mach3 I get a message that reads: E stop is assigned and invalid input pin (port 1 pin = 0) valid values are 10,11,12,13,15. I understand that means the E stop is bypassed.

You probably should at least try assigning the E-Stop to a valid pin and then shorting it to ground. Verify that it is being recognized by re-setting E-STOP, then break the connection to ground and verify that it triggers. Might not be the issue but is an easy test.

Back