Motor Starter Wiring

dcheff

Active User
Registered
I am finally ready to hook up my new to me lathe when I found out the person who unhooked it unhooked a bit more than they needed to. It is being wired into true 440 3 phase and it has the square d motor starter part number 8736SCO8V02S and it also has the square d 9001BG302 forward/reverse/stop switch. The wire in question for me is the bottom red wire on the stop section of the switch, it runs to the panel and is not terminated right now, and I can not tell where it should be terminated at.

IMG_20150805_141849710_zpsmdchbp6s.jpg
IMG_20150805_141840039_zpsbf2qt3xa.jpg
IMG_20150805_141808695_zpssddfbkev.jpg

I think that should be the control power into the system. It looks like the coils are rated at 220v . If that's the case you'll need a 220v circuit to run the starter. Did it come from a 440v system? How's the motor connected? I'd hate to see you let the magic smoke out.

That's why I'm asking lol. It came wire for 230v 3 phase, I swapped the motor to 440v.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You really ought to have a professional electrician do it. What you think is simple really requires resizing overloads, adding a control transformer (or replacing the contactor coils with 480 volt ones which brings other issues), and a properly sized branch circuit and it's protection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Minimum changes are:
1. Need new control circuit - 220v or new coils
2. Overloads will need to be changed based on motor current at 440v.
3. Rewire the starters since the control circuit is probably connected to one of the incoming lines
4. Motor reconnected for 440v.

If you try starting what you have I'll almost guaranty something will burn out.

I too know Jim is correct. If you don't have useful information stay out of the thread. I will do this myself as I do everything myself. I know its dangerous that's why I am looking for information. I am basically looking for a wiring schematic so I can change this to what I need, yes it will be a separate control circuit at a lower voltage. I'm sorry I'm not afraid of doing things myself like most of you seem to be but I look at things like this as learning opportunities, I don't get scared and hire a pro.

I have a SqD wiring diagram book at work that might have a schematic for that starter. I'll check, scan it if I do, and post it. What you're looking to do is run the forward button output through the reverse contactor aux switch and the reverse button output through the forward aux switch. The stop button will break the holding or latch circuit causing the coils to drop out. Power into the stop button from the control circuit.
You will need new heater elements rated for the 440 current. They should be about 1/2 the current rating.

Thanks Jim, I've already located the 440v coils. A diagram would be great so I can verify everything.

Back