Motor won't start- Craftex CT129N

Post where you get the motor from, sometimes that's a tough task.

Are you sure that is a 12volt motor? Many of these motors run on 100v dc. The speed is determined by PWM or pulse width modulation. Or to put it simply, the motor speed is controlled by dc pulses. The wider the "on" pulse in relation to the "off" pulse, the faster the motor runs. There are two things that you need to look at. One are the transistors mounted on the heat sinks and the motor itself. Look for any burnt areas. Do the smell test, you may be able to locate it by the burnt smell. Also look at the electrolytic capacitors. They should look like a cylinder with a flat top. If the top is rounded, then there is a problem. Hope this helps.

I'm suspicious of your diagnosis as well- was there any sparking at the wires when you tried it with the battery?
Motors seldom fail completely, the controller is the most likely culprit however a failing motor could (in rare circumstances) damage the controller too..
Mark

Are you sure that is a 12volt motor? Many of these motors run on 100v dc. The speed is determined by PWM or pulse width modulation. Or to put it simply, the motor speed is controlled by dc pulses. The wider the "on" pulse in relation to the "off" pulse, the faster the motor runs. There are two things that you need to look at. One are the transistors mounted on the heat sinks and the motor itself. Look for any burnt areas. Do the smell test, you may be able to locate it by the burnt smell. Also look at the electrolytic capacitors. They should look like a cylinder with a flat top. If the top is rounded, then there is a problem. Hope this helps.
I'll be sure to inspect the motor before I get a new one. Thanks for the tips

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I'm suspicious of your diagnosis as well- was there any sparking at the wires when you tried it with the battery?
Motors seldom fail completely, the controller is the most likely culprit however a failing motor could (in rare circumstances) damage the controller too..
Mark
There were no Sparks at the wires when I connected the motor to the battery. If the controller did fail, where would I be able to get a new one, or could I service the old one? Thanks for your time, Anton

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

A 110 volt dc motor will run at a slow speed from a 12 volt supply like 20 or so rpm.
OP post a clear pic of the front and back of the controller board. Some one here may recognize it. And you did use the 2 leads coming out the motor and not the chase ground, right.

Ok Anton it does sound like a bad motor. Probably one of the brush wires came off inside, or (rarely) very worn brushes. Us DIY types always try to do the
cheapest possible fixes before throwing in the towel and shelling out for new stuff.
Speed controls can be fixed but it can get involved, more difficult without a schematic diagram but sometimes possible. If the motor went open circuit while running the controller may very well be damaged. You might could try substituting an incandescent bulb for the motor and see if you can vary the brightness- may work or not depending on the controller design
Mark S.

Last edited:
Get a voltmeter and measure the voltage on the wires to the motor before doing anything else so you can determine if controller is outputting any voltage.

Next motor with 2 wires and compact size likely a permanent magnet type with brushes.

It could have a bad brush or wire and these can be easy repair and brushes are hard to find but tool repair places sometimes have them ot automotive re builders where you may find one close that can be sanded to fit.

When you take it apart the brushes may spring out so place in a plastic bag and push out towards end that power wire is on and hopefully will come out .

They often have place for wire to insert to hold them for assembly.

We are guessing....as we seen this before....brush holder is plastic and user may have pushed it too hard and caused excessive current which caused brush to get hot and melt the plastic allowing it to grab the brush then a little wear and no contact.

Can be repaired with epoxy to add strength then carefull pull brush then file inside holder for clearance.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

So after a trying a few of your tricks, I have determined that the motor is burnt out. I put it up to my car battery and nothing happened.

Most DC motors use brushes; a bit of dirt that keeps the brushes from moving can stop the motor,
and just takes a swipe with a pipe cleaner to fix. Some have permanent magnets, and can
attract shavings, too. There may be a thermal overload (with either a pushbutton reset
switch, or a replaceable fuse). I'd disassemble the motor and inspect before ordering a new one.

Back